Saturday, August 6, 2011

With Liberty And Justice For All

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America . . .

Yesterday one of my friends told me about her recent pat down experience by a TSA agent. She had worn a skirt the day she flew, which apparently sends up a red flag now and will guarantee an extra personal screening. God forbid that women dress like women now at an airport. Thanks a lot, you Muslim maniacs. Then she said that the TSA agent felt up inside her legs and way up into her . . . personal space. Way up. She was pretty surprised.

I’ve read on the internet about similar experiences by today’s airline passengers, but this was the first person I’ve talked to who went through it. At least our mouths are still dropping open when we hear or read stories like this. The day we stop being shocked and dismayed is the day we become frog soup.

". . . And to the Republic for which it stands . . ."

For now, I’m desperately—and with great frustration— trying to figure out how to get across to others why it’s unacceptable to make American citizens walk through scanners which bombard them with uncertain amounts of cumulative radiation. And why is it so hard to explain that it’s illegal for airports to pass you on to a “professional” who puts their hands or fingers into your genitals simply because you chose to use an airplane to travel? “Professional” what? Hookers are professionals, too.

Some say that we must keep flying or the terrorists win. They say the purpose of 9-11 was to scare us out of the skies. But that didn’t scare me out of the sky. It hardly scared anyone out of the sky. My husband and I flew thousands of miles away to the UK less than three weeks after our country was attacked. But ten years and numerous flying miles later, I’ve taken my last flight until things change. I’m refusing to fly. I’m not afraid of terrorists blowing up my plane. That’s not how the terrorists are winning. I’m afraid that, if I give up my Fourth Amendment right to the protection of my body from unreasonable searches (and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that Gate Rape is unreasonable), I will have all of my rights as an American and a human being taken from me under the guise of governmental prerogative. More than that, I fear for my children and my grandchildren. The terrorists are winning by making me afraid of my own government.

". . . One nation under God . . ."

Fourth Amendment? So what. Child abuse and elderly abuse? So what. Ineffective? So what. Listen, if police did the things to citizens that the TSA does, without reasonable suspicion and a warrant to back them up, they’d be up on charges. And, in my opinion, that’s what should be happening to the blue glovers in airports.

". . .indivisible . . ."

The sad, pathetic irony to all of this is that the very people who assert that the invasion of our bodies is the only way to keep us safe are the same people who have sworn oaths to defend the Constitution, including all 27 of its amendments. You’ve seen it in January every four years as the president takes office. With his hand on a Bible, the most powerful man in the world swears to protect and defend our great document and guarantee of liberty. The same oath is taken by the vice president, his cabinet, federal and state judges and congressmen and women, firefighters, police and our military. They all hold up their right hand and say, in part,

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. . .”

They’re swearing out of both sides of their mouths. Either they promise to protect us from unreasonable searches of our bodies and mean it, or they need to quit swearing.

". . .with liberty and justice . . ."

Thank God they’re keeping us safe from the terrorists. Because we have our hands full right now surviving the stripping of our clothes, our dignity, our self respect, our children’s security, and our rights by our own government. I don’t think I can take much more of this kind of “security.” It’s destroying my peace of mind.

I have never been so ashamed of my country. I can hardly even say the pledge of allegiance now—the words catch in my throat—because there is no “liberty and justice for all”.

There is only Big Brother.

". . .for all."

No comments:

Post a Comment