Sunday, December 11, 2011

Icing on the Cake


“YaYa, do you remember when you and I went to the dog park?” My three-year-old granddaughter, Allie, and I were headed home from a shopping spree at Target when she charmed me with her question.

“Yes, I do!” I replied.

“Do you remember when you and I saw a big parade?” she followed up.

“Yes, I do!” I answer, delighted that we’re making memories she’s old enough now to remember.

Why do you remember?” she asked me. At three and a half, she’s spent the last year adding the question, “why?”, to every other question, like icing on a piece of cake. But I’ve figured out how to get around it. I turn the “why?” question back to her. So that’s what I did today.

“Why do YOU remember those things, Allie?” I asked, feeling a little sneaky, and kind of proud of myself.

“Because I love going places with you, YaYa,” she answered.

And she won the question and answer game. I was washed out by tears.

Three-year-olds don’t play fair.

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwww, so sweet! No, three-year-olds don't fight fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's getting to be more and more fun to talk with. Her innocent take on life leaves me laughing or in tender tears. Talk about cutting through the distractions and bringing it all back to what's important - hanging out with a three-year-old is a gift.

    ReplyDelete