Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Be Thou My Vision

Celtic hymns play softly, diffused through the baby monitor that keeps our ears tuned to his needs in the other room.  Now and then the voice of his son drifts through the monitor as well. 
“How’s that, Dad?” he asks.  “Are you comfortable?” 
The weak voice of his father replies, the celtic flute swells again and conversation lulls.
From where I sit on this porch, I see the overlay of our lives.  The dedicated nurse and daughter, devotion and expertise in one petite package, stands at the counter surfing the net, gathering information.  His wife of almost sixty years, his soulmate, concentrates at the sunroom table, sorting his medication for the new week.  Another daughter and two more sons will come by sometime today and pick up the slack in the reigns, caring for the house and yard which once were the domain of their father. Everyone lends a hand.
From the corner of the porch, I ponder the marble and brass statue of a boat on the glass table near the window. Its full sails push the vessel forward while an inscription on the main sail reads, “I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me.”  All things is a difficult description right now, and my own weary heart questions sometimes if His strength really transfuses as easily as it sounds in this promise.
These waters are rough, the horizon unchanging, our course uncharted.  But a promise is a promise.  If this one isn’t true, He isn’t God.
The hymn draws my attention again, its lyrics carried by the lilting tones of celtic instruments.   “. . . Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight, be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight. . . Thou my best Thought, by day or by night, waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.”
When perspective blurs, He is my vision.

4 comments:

  1. As I ponder the the marble and brass boat, and have some sense of what you are going through, I see sails full of hope and a sense of direction that can only be drawn upon by one of Faith. On the same winds that fill these sails I send my prayers for you and your family. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And "hope never disappoints or deludes or shames us, for God’s love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit Who has been given to us." Thank you for the reminder, Sandy, and especially your prayers.

      Delete
  2. at times like these, we find strength and inspiration from mysterious sources. at times like these, we are tested to our limits to see if we truly have the strength to go on. at times like these, we find renewed focus, faith and love in one another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were encouraged by this piece. Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting here.

      Delete