Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Power Lines

I looked around at the dirty sidewalk, overflowing trashcans and peeling candy bar posters in the plate glass window.  In the background, diesel trucks pulled in and out of overworked gas pumps and tired travelers put empty wallets back in their pockets.  Miles of bleak powerlines punctuated the dusty sky.  It all seemed like a metaphor to me.

This rest stop wasn't very restful.  The food for sale wasn't nourishing. The Texas souvenirs weren't even from Texas. In general, it was a sub-par representation of life.

So I wiped the sweat from my forehead as I went looking for a bathroom with invisible pestilences, and I did what I always do.  I griped to God.


Me:     "So, God, life is hard and often unhappy."

Him:    "Some times."

Me:     (Trying to find a spiritual rainbow.)
           "I need to remember the world is imperfect and not to put
            my hope in it."

Him:    "Good advice."

Me:     "And that the good life is with You, right?"

Him:    "Yep.  You just need to hold everything loosely."

Me:     "Yeah. . . what does that really mean?"

Him:    "I don't know.  I read it on Facebook."


It was the first laugh I'd had all day.



God will let you laugh again ~  you'll raise the roof with shouts of joy. . .   Job 8:21



(Photo courtesy of Jess and Colin photostream at Flickr.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment