Wednesday, January 16, 2013

In Acknowledgement

I love writing.  I’ve loved it since kindergarten when I wrote my first poem (roses are red, violets are blue, teachers are nice and school is fun) and I heard my teacher say I was unique.  She was my favorite teacher.

For a few years in elementary school, I had a pen pal in Japan. Sometimes I even wrote back to her. She wrote beautiful letters to me and enjoyed the ones I wrote so much, she finally had to tell me less was more. I thought that was so considerate.

In high school I wrote for the campus newspaper.  Our faculty sponsor saw my potential and told me I could write editorials some day. For somebody else’s paper.  I felt special.

And, of course, when my husband was still my fiancé and was away in Germany serving his country, I wrote to him every single day for almost a year and a half.  I mailed him hundreds of letters. I told him what I was thinking and how I was feeling and all of my girlish dreams and what colors I wanted in our kitchen and which songs I was thinking of using at our wedding. He saved every single letter in a box he stored outside in a shed.  If it weren’t for that terrible flood, I could post some excerpts here for your enjoyment, but would you believe they were all eaten by termites? Talk about bad luck.

So here I am today, writing a blog, grateful to all those people who believed in me.  They’re each so remarkably humble, they begged me not to mention their names in public. Still, someday, if I publish a book, I know they’ll be there to support me just like they always have. My husband's already building a shed where we can store the hundreds of autographed copies I'll have on hand.

Silent partners.  I owe everything to them.


Photo courtesy of Scott Hamlin's photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotthamlin/7207331332/

8 comments:

  1. I believe in you! And look, you're using Flickr pictures. My friend is growing into such an awesome blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you're making me blush. :) Flickr owes you some kickbacks, I think!

      Delete
  2. Yours has quickly become one of my most anticipated blogs to read. I love it. Always well written, I never gonna know if I'm gonna chuckle, tear up, or ponder... And sometimes it is all three! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is one of my favorite comments ever, Mendy! Thank you very much for the kind words and especially the encouragement to keep going. Let me know when mendycontinued.blogspot.com is launched!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Mendy. I look forward to new posts on your blog and am always impressed. I never leave thinking that it was wasted time. When you do write your book, sign me up for an autographed copy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's so nice of you! Well, I probably ought to start looking into the serious editing/submitting/query lettering that publishing demands and stop sending blog notices to everybody's inbox. You'll get the first John Hancock copy for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. That makes me smile. And hey, your blog has a Facebook page now. I feel like that's proof that it's taking off and you'll have one of those printed book thingies soon. :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I like the way you think! Thanks for believing it's possible!

      Delete