Sunday, January 6, 2013

Siskel And Ebert Got Nothin' On Me

Oh, I could make so many people upset with me.  I’m not sure it’s worth it just to keep up with that blog challenge and put something up today.  I mean, I have friends on facebook who might hunt me down after they hear what I have to say.  So before you read any further, I have to warn you—you might not like what I’m about to tell you.
Okay, fine. I saw The Hobbit today and if you’re wondering what I thought of it, here goes.  I thought it was . . . noisy.
Now, it’s not like I don’t know the story.  As a matter of fact, when Rob and I started dating, the first gift he ever gave me was a paperback copy of Tolkien’s classic.  I was sixteen, I’d never heard of Tolkien, and I wasn’t a big fan of fantasy books.  But I read it because my boyfriend gave it to me.  And then I decided to still date the guy who thought a book about furry-footed hole dwellers would change my life.  I know quality when I see it.
Today, thirty-eight years later, my former boyfriend and I sat through three hours of slobbery orks, grudge holding dwarves, minimally magical wizardry, and stunning scenery.  I liked all their Scottish accents.  I thought the one mysterious woman was beautiful.  But overall, it was just noisy.  It also had no ending.  Now I’m going to have to sit through another six hours spread out over the next two years before we find out that Bilbo develops a dangerous addiction to that golden ring and Frodo steps in to save the day.  I can hardly wait.
I hope that didn’t ruin the ending for you, but I did warn you.
I told you I read the book.



(Photo courtesy of Xadrian’s photostream, Flickr.com)

4 comments:

  1. In fairness to Siskel and Ebert, I think they have you by a mile in the Pompousness department. And while I enjoyed the movie well enough... it just cannot compare to the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, MrsH. :) My husband sits through so many romantic comedies with me, sitting through this one with him means I still owe him the upcoming last two installments.

      Delete
  2. That was my dad's review. Too noisy. Actually I believe he said "Too much" and when questioned, said "Too much of everything." I'm assuming that includes noise, although he's deaf so he might not have noticed.

    My review: Not enough dragon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Too noisy" is almost always my review of action movies. But I also say that about freeways and rock concerts and daycare. And my hair dryer. I think I'm losing my hearing because of my hair dryer. And the yappy dog next door is too noisy. My vent fan over the stove has too many decibels, and every appliance in my house beeps, and . . . oh, sorry. Sometimes I just need a little peace and quiet. ;)

      Delete