Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Booked

I cleaned out our collection of books today.
I tossed unused volumes and less-than volumes, dusted hibernating shelves, and re-routed favorites to locations where I can find them more easily.  It’s never easy to tell a book good-bye. I paid for it, after all, and placed it in plain view where people could admire its spine and see how tightly it fits into the whole façade of what avid readers we are.
But it was time to come clean.
We don’t read all those books.  I don’t know enough of what’s in each of them to use them as reference books like I thought I would. And even if the day comes when I have reader’s remorse and weep tears of frustration when I discover I need that printing I threw out last week, it will still be worth it to have organized the survivors and made a little more room on those saggy shelves.
Best of all, now that there’s some space I can go buy more books!
Is there a twelve step program for people with a paperback addiction, or should I just get a copy of that at the bookstore?





8 comments:

  1. [backing away in horror] You.... threw..... out ..... books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I knew you'd say that! No. They're tossed carelessly into a laundry basket awaiting a trip to Goodwill. Silly.

      Delete
  2. I have tons of books. I can't get rid of them. I just bought new bigger shelves to organize mine lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha. Another candidate for that twelve step program I'm looking for. Well, don't worry. You have time to lug those books around before you have to separate the grain from the chaff. Next on my clean out list - bathroom drawers!!!

      Delete
  3. You won't find me trying to join any such 12 step program. I love my books and I refuse to say goodbye. One of my favorite things about buying our house was putting in floor to ceiling bookshelves along a wall and a half in our living room... Now if only I had the time to read all of the lovely books on those shelves. Oh, rats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL See what I mean? Where will I put all the new books I want to buy if the old unread ones won't move out? By the way, I am SO jealous of your floor to ceiling bookshelf description!

      Delete
    2. Ahh, we simply start stacking more books in front of books when we run out of shelf space. I think our bookshelves work harder than the shelves in most libraries. Now I just need to start of book filing system here.

      Delete
    3. So you need another half wall for shelves? I see a serious library in your future!

      Delete