Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ding Dong

I’m not that good at being logical.  A friend told me once that if you worry about what could happen and then it doesn’t happen, you worried for nothing. But even if it does happen, then you suffered twice.  I looked at her like she was speaking Cantonese.
It’s hard to reform a worrier.
All those ‘what ifs’ that fly around over my head like juggler’s plates—I’ve gotta keep ‘em spinning, you know, or they all come crashing . . . . DOWN!!
Somebody distracted me. Barely  a week after Nathan dropped by. Suddenly I was really down. Inconsolable again. And then . . .
Oh, you guessed it, didn’t you?
The doorbell rang. At night. In the heat. For the third time.
Did you know God often does things in three’s? To make a point? To prove that He’s the One with His finger on the doorbell?
Well, I wasn’t about to answer it. I didn’t look any better this night than the last time a stranger interrupted my tears.
So Rob did.
“If it’s another bug guy, ask him what his name is!” I shouted after him, still sobbing into my Kleenex.
Well, I may be afraid but I still have instincts.
He was gone a long time. I could hear him talking with the man at the door, asking questions like he always does, playing cat and mouse with salesmen so they’ll think he just might buy whatever they’re selling. Finally, the guy at the door got tired of the game, and asked to come inside to use our bathroom.
Rob showed him the way, and then walked through the family room where I was mopping up mascara on the sofa and whispered in my ear,
“It’s another bug guy and his name is Chase.”
Well—I may not have remembered who Caleb was, but I was pretty sure Chase is neither Hebrew nor Biblical.
Figures, I thought.  And I could have really used some Holy Raid tonight. The devil was bugging me big time.
A few minutes later Rob showed the guy to the door and came back to sit beside me on the couch.
“Well,” he asked, “did you look it up?”
“There’s no Chase in the Bible!” I said in exasperation.
“How do you know?” he retorted.
“So, what should I google? Chase and the Bible?”
Oh me of little faith.
Chase shows up a lot in the Bible. That’s because ‘chase’ is a verb. Sometimes it’s a command. And the Bible is full of stories about people like me who were always being ‘chased’ by some scary somebody or other.
But this is the verse God chased me into reading:
“But you will chase your enemies and they will fall before you by the sword.”  Leviticus 26:7
Yes, indeed. By a tiny little sword in the hands of a surgeon with the last name CHASE who had removed the cancer in my uterus a few days earlier and told me yesterday that she got it all.
God kept telling me. Again and again He told me to take courage and expect Him to show up.
I’d like to tell you I’m a reformed worrier, but in all honesty I can’t. So instead, I’ll tell you this—God keeps His promises and goes out of His way to comfort the hearts of people like me.
I’d also like to thank the inventor of the doorbell. The house may disintegrate around me, but I will always make sure the doorbell works. And there will never be a "No Solicitors" sign on our door.  They're welcome here anytime.

Especially bug guys.

Wait and hope for and expect the Lord; be brave and of good courage and let your heart be stout and enduring. Yes, wait for and hope for and expect the Lord. Psalm 27:14

Photo courtesy of neosnaps' photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/29674401@N00/2574417351

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad your doorbell rings at just the right moments. And that your computer works for you to share with other not-so-reformed worriers. It's a good thing worries don't take up actual space, or we'd need a much bigger house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is it took almost a year of living here for us to even recognize when the doorbell was ringing. We have some inferior builder's model and it actually sings, "Dink Donk". Even the dog didn't know when people were at the door with a goofy sound like that! Yeah, worries are a common problem. And it never helps when preachers say it's a sin to worry - because I'll still feel worried and then I feel guilty, too. I prefer God's take on the issue - run to him and His throne of grace and boldly ask Him for mercy and help for all my failures.

      Delete
    2. You know, I agree, I hate it when preachers say that worry is a sin. You are actually the first person who ever told me that worry itself is not a sin, but that our Father has much bigger plans for us than to be tied up in knots of worry. I am thankful his throne is accessible all the time.

      Delete
    3. Beautifully said, MrsH. Love you so much!

      Delete
  2. I am trying to become more of a half full kind of gal : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all those 'what ifs' can really empty a glass, can't they? :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing, interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to read this piece, Katrina. I just happened on to your photoblog site and couldn't help commenting on a few pix of your delightful sleeping husband! Very funny!

      Delete
  4. Another episode of "you can't make this stuff up." Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? There's now way I could have dreamed this up. I have a friend who often reminds me that when I'm worried or struggling with something else, it's just the enemy of our souls pestering me. "He's just a little gnat on your shoulder," she says, "flick him off!" It was the first thing I thought of once I realized God's great sense of humor in sending exterminators because I had a "bug infestation", as Arla commented below. Thanks for your great comment!

      Delete
  5. I hope you don't wind up with a bug infestation! I love CHASE! Chase after God, because he certainly is chasing after you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you phrased that, Arla! Puts my attention on the right One Who is chasing me instead of all the "scary somebody or others." Psalm 23 ran through my mind a lot the last few weeks, especially where it says "surely goodness and mercy are in hot pursuit of me all the days of my life." Thank you for the reminder!

      Delete