Sunday, July 7, 2013

Stormy Weather

It rained here last night. Finally. In our little corner of the Valley of the Sun, the radar was wrong, the weatherman stunned, and a thunderous storm went out of its way to make us feel important.
The morning before, it rained at my friend, Deborah’s house, twenty miles away from us.  She was on the phone with her sister on the east coast when the first drop splatted.
“I didn’t know what it was,” she told me later. 
Only in Arizona do we forget what rain sounds like.
Last night’s storm made sure we didn’t confuse it with fireworks or car engines. Usually when I realize moisture is landing  close by, I quickly run outside to breathe in its sweet, fleeting  fragrance, eyes straining to make out the evaporating evidence on the ground.  Why they didn’t name this Sonoran desert The Kalahari instead, I’ll never know.
But last night I had just settled in under the covers when lightning outlined the window in our bedroom and thunder bellowed its bass “hello.”  It was a surprise visit and I was delighted. Suddenly, a chaotic tap dance beat a rhythm on the glass as rain and hail competed for my attention. 
Gleeful as a child, I cozied down deeper in the bedding and let the summer symphony lull me to sleep. 
Rain is a gift to desert dwellers, and when it comes wrapped in the darkness of evening, my favorite place to enjoy it is from the private box seat of our master suite.
From rainfall to curtain call, the show is complete with its own applause, then tiptoes away as I softly slumber. Sweet relief. Sweet reprieve.
Sweet dreams.



Photo courtesy of samantha celera's photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/13408740@N00/2226758824

6 comments:

  1. It rained here in the North country last night, too. I love hearing it on the roof and on my window..one of the sweetest sounds in my opinion. You've painted a lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lani. I wish we had a tin roof so we'd never miss the sound, no matter how light the rain! I'm glad you enjoyed it last night, too.

      Delete
  2. I don't think we got any rain in Gilbert, darn it. Lots and lots of lightning, but no rain :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( I love the lightning, too, but the rain pounding on the house is icing on the cake. Although, it dropped a microburst at a friend's house about five miles away from us, and left them without power all night. That's just not friendly.

      Delete
  3. Love this. And it's amazing that living in a place where it rains plenty more than there, it rarely rains hard enough to enjoy the percussive symphony. But when it does, I soak it in too. It's one of my favorite sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? Oh, that's disappointing. Maybe if you had a tin roof? Rob and I think if we ever get a little place in the mountains, we'll have to put on a tin roof to enjoy the rainy melodies.

      Delete