Read that again. Then close your eyes. And feel your
breath. Inhale, exhale, slow down, pause. . .
Rest. Well,
I feel better. I felt better. Until I opened my eyes and looked at this page
and realized I have a lot of typing ahead of me this morning and the last thing
I need to do is waste time closing my eyes and putting my hands in my lap. I
can rest after I hit my word count. Well, actually I haven’t done the dishes
yet so I’ll tackle them once I’m finished here, and then I’ll rest. That is
after I gather the laundry, of course, because I only have this little window
of time where I can concentrate uninterrupted and . . .
Hold on. The phone. Gotta get that even though I’m
sure it’s not . . .
Important. Time is what matters. That’s what’s important.
Squandering it means I’ll never be able to check anything off my list. I only
have a little bit of time for this project, whatever that looks like at this
moment, because five more chores are in the queue ready to slide into place the
minute I finish this one thing, so I can’t dawdle or daydream or pause for even
. . .
Just a second. The kitchen timer’s going off and I’ll
never get my focus back if I don’t turn it off because I need noisy reminders or
I’ll mess up dinner and we’ll all be . . .
Sorry. What were you saying? You’d like to meet me for
lunch some time? Sounds lovely. Let’s be sure to do that. When? Well, this week
is out, I’m booked to the hilt. And next week is Thanksgiving and we all know
how busy that’s going to be. Christmas plans are already filling the calendar,
I’m sorry to say—bet you’re getting busy, too, right? You’re not that busy? Oh.
Well, I’d really like to get with you—whatever happened to the days when
homemakers dropped in on one another for a cup of coffee and conversation? The
world is spinning faster, isn’t it? It’s not? Well, I’d love to drop everything
and pretend I’m in charge of my life so you and I can spend a couple of irresponsible
hours together catching up, but I’ve already given away that time slot to something
else. I hope you understand. You’re important to me, though, and the last thing
I’d want to do is hurt your feelings—it’s not in my DNA to say no to anyone who
asks me to attend their event or help with their project or be another body at
their bridal shower—I hate to let people down because they need me and I need them
to know they’re important to me or they might not invite me the next time. That’s
the reason there are no margins in my life, no spare time for spare time, and
it breaks my heart to have to turn down your invitation for lunch, but it’s
just that I’m already stretched so thin.
How does February look for you? Oh, you thought I
meant this February? Hilarious! Oh,
man, that cracked me up! Hoo boy. Got a little tear in my eye there. February
2020. Can I put you down?
Hello?
Well, that’s too bad. I really thought that sounded
like fun. It’s just that I’m so . . . busy. And important. And the things I’m
busy doing are important. Too important to create margins in my life where
serendipity happens and people know they have my full attention at the moment
we’re connecting. That busy.
Maybe I’m too
busy.
Busyiness:
(biz-ee-nis)
—noun
1.
The quality or condition of being busy
2. Lively
but meaningless activity
—antonyms: neglect, ignorance, disregard
It’s kind of depressing when I put it like that. Oh, I
know what we’ve all been taught. “Idleness is the devil’s workshop.” Which
apparently means that if we don’t stay busy, we’ll find ourselves turning to a
life of crime so we’ll have something to do. Well, that’s just ridiculous. I
heard Wal-Mart is always hiring people who don’t have anything to do.
But when I’m worn out in my soul and it’s only mid-afternoon,
I’ve got to ask myself—what’s wrong with “rest?” I think the problem with
resting is that when we’re doing it, nothing else is happening. It’s like
someone pointed a remote at us and paused us mid-sentence, leaving us frozen with
that weird look on our faces that, if we were famous, some paparazzi guy could
sell for a million bucks to the Enquirer and everyone would see how
unattractive we look when we’re at rest.
Or maybe we have to prove that we’re not lazy. Or
apathetic. “Back in my day,” even
people my age have begun to say, “we knew how to work/keep a commitment/follow
through/save a penny/blah blah blah.” First of all—when did I get so old? And
secondly, people my age grew up in the drug culture/free love/avoid the draft/groovy
era of the ‘60’s. That’s not exactly a decade anybody should hold up as a role
model.
So maybe it’s our grandparents’ stories about how they
became “The Greatest Generation” that have us so intimidated. They didn’t give
themselves that nickname, by the way, but it’s still a tough act to follow.
Turn any adjective into one with an -est ending and suddenly the competition is
over. They were educated in one-room schoolhouses. They survived the Great
Depression. They learned to cook without sugar during World War II. They invented McDonalds. Finally. I knew they
screwed up somewhere.
I know it’s important to have purpose in our lives. It’s
also important to eat. We have to work or we starve. Houses don’t clean
themselves. Children need adult supervision. Countries need governments. (Do
they really?) Schools need teachers. Houses need plumbers. Grocers need
farmers. I need Starbucks. We are needed. There’s no denying that. And we need to be needed.
But here’s my question. Am I omnipotent? Omnipresent?
Can I meet every need at every moment, drawing on an endless supply of energy
while I do it? Or am I restricted by the limitations of this one and only body
which contains my one and only soul which needs . . . rest?
At the end of the day and the end of our lists and the
end of our patience we come full circle back to that question where all of this
began.
What about rest? Or more importantly, what does it
look like?
It means to Pause. Slow down. Recuperate. Replenish.
Be present. Maybe even erase some stuff off your exhausted calendar.
If you’re a musician, you know that every piece of
music has rests built into it. They’re there for emphasis, for pacing, or just
for a chance to catch your breath or change position. The only band I know of that
played on with no regard for breaks went down with the Titanic. Under normal
circumstances, I wouldn’t recommend that.
We’ve already agreed that none of us are omnipotent.
But I know of One Who is. He knows how to work—He created our universe and all
the others we haven’t discovered yet. But six days in, He candidly surveyed all
He’d done and decided it was not only good enough, it was simply and entirely
good. And then He rested.
God. The One who never sleeps took time to rest. And
by the time He bought us all back and made us His own, the only struggle He
left for us might surprise you, as it did me.
“Let us strive
to enter that (God’s) rest . . .” the
New Testament reads in Hebrews 4:11.
Strive to rest. Now there’s an oxymoron if
ever I heard one.
When it’s time to work, let’s work. When it’s time to
rest, baby, rest. And when you're replenished, give me a call—we’ll do lunch.
I’ve made room in the margins for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment