I am not courageous. Or brave. Or doing great. You only think that because you haven’t heard me screaming at God at the top of my voice when I’m here alone,
“Why!!!”
It seems to me that courageous people don’t scream at
the Almighty. They bow their humble heads and submit to the “will of God” when
tragedies happen. They don’t demand answers and call Him names like The God
I’m Not Talking To. They praise the Lord and thank Him for the forty-four
wonderful years they had together and gush about how happy they are to know their
husband isn’t suffering anymore and is happy now in the arms of Jesus.
That’s what I’ve been told. To tell you the truth,
though, I’m not buying it. I don’t think they’re being honest.
So, no, I don’t feel courageous. I’m fragile and raw
and numb, but I’m not courageous. I don’t feel brave either. I’m shellshocked
and weary and sleep deprived and dehydrated, but definitely not brave. It’s
just that I have no choice. I’m here. I’m alive. And I feel alone. I hurt like
hell and, with every cell in my being, I miss Rob every second of every hour of
every day. But that’s not courage. Or bravery. Or even remarkable.
That’s just the crappy hand I got dealt.
Doesn’t sound very spiritual, does it? It doesn’t to
me either. It does sound honest, though. Authentic. And it probably makes
people uncomfortable. What do you do with a woman who sits at your bank counter
crying because she has to remove her husband’s name from their joint checking
account? And when she bursts into tears in a department store because she
glanced at his photo on her phone, should you ask her if she’s okay or pretend
you didn’t notice? If her tears splash all over the bananas in the grocery
store because she realizes she’ll never buy them again for her dead husband,
should you bring it to the attention of the store manager? After all, that’s
not very covid-friendly of her. “Clean up in Produce!” the loudspeaker squawks.
So, let’s recap. I’m not courageous or brave. I’m not
living my best spiritual life right now. And I’m dripping snot in literally
every public place I go in a dismal effort to pick up the shattered pieces of
my life and get back to the business of living. At this point, I don’t think I’m
succeeding at much of anything—except crying.
I am honest, though. And I ask honest questions. I
always have. Whether I politely question God like the good Southern-style woman
I am or scream “Why?!” like a banshee in the jungle, throwing it out there now
is as straightforward as the day eight years ago when I found out I had cancer
and stood alone in the backyard, staring up at the sky, daring to ask the
Creator of the universe, “Where are You?”
I felt pretty alone that day, too, and Rob was
standing right behind me.
I can ask God anything I want to ask Him. He can
handle it. I know a few people who can’t, but God seems up to the challenge. He’s
a fan of honesty. He knows what I’m thinking anyway, so why shouldn’t I ask? I
want to know why He didn’t heal my darling’s lungs when hundreds of people
prayed thousands of prayers asking Him to. He healed lots of other people, many
of whom never even saw a doctor when they caught the virus. He healed me in the
same hospital where Rob lost his life. We had the same diagnosis on the same
day. Why did He leave me here alone asking questions Rob would never have asked
if the tables had been turned?
I think He got our rooms mixed up.
I want to know why my grandchildren lost their Chief.
Why my son didn’t get the chance to tell his father goodbye in person when he
hadn’t seen him for nearly two years because of covid. Tell me why my daughter
had to lose the father she adores, holding his hand for nearly twenty-four
hours until he took his last breath? And our friends who’ve wept over the loss
of a man who was like a brother to some and a hero to many. Why is that, God?
I should be clear here, since some people never
question the way life turns out and others have all the answers so they never
need to ask questions. I don’t believe in pat answers. That hasn’t stopped
people from offering them, but their consolation cards wind up in my circular
file when they do. Pat answers are easy when it isn’t the love of your
life who has suddenly died. Religious explanations are even worse. They blame
God but make Him look heroic while they do it. It makes me wonder if those
people even know God.
I know God is weeping with me. That He is saving my
tears in a bottle. I don’t know what He plans to do with them, but somehow the
image of Him caring that much is comforting. I know He carries me when I don’t
have the emotional strength to even get out of bed, which has been happening a
lot for the last five weeks. There’s more I know about God, but so far I haven’t
forgiven Him enough to give Him credit for those things. I also know He won’t
hold that against me even though I’m holding the loss of my darling against
Him.
Oh, I know, some of you are so shocked your socks have
flown off. I’ve ruined the good Christian perception you had of me. Good. If we
can’t ask God hard questions in hard times without worrying about the way we
package it, then He’s not the God we thought He was. Don’t worry. If lightning
strikes from heaven in the next ten minutes because I just wrote that, you won’t
get hit by Eula shrapnel. You’re a safe distance away, reading my last words
and wondering where I found the courage to shake my finger in the face of God
and question His motives.
I got it from Him. The Author and the Finisher of my
faith. God’s not afraid of my honesty. His favorite people were never
Pharisees, remember? He’s always loved a desperate heart. He’s the One Who
asked Adam and Eve the same thing I asked Him in my backyard eight years ago
and at Rob’s bedside five weeks ago,
“Where are you?”
It takes courage to be honest. Maybe I’m braver than I
think.

You are braver than you think!
ReplyDelete❤️
Friends help there. Love you.
ReplyDeleteI love you and your honesty! I am angry for you. Even in your grief you help us deal, because of your honesty.
ReplyDeleteYour perspective helps to soften the hardness of it all. Love you, my friend.
DeleteLove you
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting, Susie. Love to you, too.
DeleteAunt Eula,
ReplyDeleteI just found your new blogs and I am so glad you are able to write and use this outlet. As always your words are so perfect. But that is not the point here... I know I am speaking from a place that cannot comprehend your loss or grief, but I want you to know that I love you so very much and my heart is with you as you traverse this awful and unfair time. We join with you in grief as our hearts are broken, too.
I know your hearts are broken. You are family. I love you all so much.
DeleteOh my friend, how my heart aches with yours 💔 I admire your honesty and how you can put it out there in words that are so brutally honest. I remember times I have been so mad at God and questioned my own faith because of it, but he knows us intimately and knows how we feel so why try to hide it? He loves us anyway. I pray I have not said those pat answers to you, because God knows that I have no idea what to say to a grieving person that is going to help them. I am struggling right now with what to say to a friend who’s husband is going to need a lung transplant to live, and he is only in his 50’s and a good Christian man. A retired police officer. When I found out last night, I could only cry out to God, “why?”.
ReplyDeleteThis year has been hard and so terribly sad with so much sickness and death around us that last night I questioned God if He was punishing us for some reason by afflicting our friends. Dumb, I know. Why did Ted and I make it through Covid but have loved ones die from it or were really sick and hospitalized? Life does not make sense. But I know I have a God who loves me no matter how mad I get at Him and will see me through to the end. And I believe he prefers our gut wrenching honesty over all else.
Love you and your authenticity ❤️🤗
It's a good thing He prefers our honesty because it's all I've got right now. You were nothing but kind to me, Nancy. One of the hard things about all of this is the guilt that survivors have to live with, including me. I often wonder what Rob would be thinking and feeling if the tables had been turned. Just another one of those things I wish desperately I could talk with him about. I'm confident that he would not want any of us to feel guilty or responsible in any way. He was a logical man who knew how to make difficult decisions and live with them. I love you, my friend. Thank you for your love and thoughts here.
Delete❤️ your honesty is raw and humble
ReplyDeleteHi, Sandy, Your other comment may not have made it on here. If it didn't, I'm sorry. It was my mistake. You said you don't think anyone is ever ready for their other half to go, and I so agree. That's such a good descriptor since when it happens, it does feel as though half of you is suddenly gone. I feel raw which explains my honesty. Thank you for reading and seeing my heart. Love you, my friend.
Delete