We rescued Brody from a shelter in Mesa four years
ago. He was the wrong color—he didn’t match our tile. Rob let me pick him out
as my Christmas gift that year, but even though there were two chocolate lab
puppies available with hair that would have been more inconspicuous on the
floor, the yellow lab/shepherd mix had eyes that looked into my soul. My
husband sighed as I made my decision. He knew what was about to happen. Looking
into a dog’s eyes is always the way I pick them out.
Our Brody. He was lost once, too, but we found him and
fought for him. Competed, actually. Six other families threw their numbers in a
hat with ours at the dog pound and Rob won him for me. He was my Christmas present, but the
picture taken of our newest family member had Rob at his side. “Way to go, Rob!”
somebody responded when he posted the photo on Facebook.
That’s the way it always was. They were buddies.
Rob didn’t really want another dog after we lost our
last white pup a year earlier. Honestly, though, what he mostly didn’t want was
more dog-hair carpet and dog-sitter expenses while we were out of town. Every dog
we’ve ever had was my idea. And every dog we ever had became Rob’s dog.
This morning I sat at the table rubbing the velvety,
white ears of the companion I inherited when I lost Rob and, right on cue, my
eyes filled with tears at the memory of the two of them together. Walking
across the pine filled acreage of our Heber house, Rob followed the fence line
as Brody ran circles around his master. Brody posting himself beside Rob in Dan
and Kate’s cabin last fall while he lit a fire in the fireplace. We finally
figured out flames terrified Brody, but he wouldn’t leave Rob’s side while he stoked
the blaze. The lock screen photo on my phone is of Rob and Brody posing for me
in the snow near Woods Canyon Lake on the Rim two years ago. It’s my favorite
photo of Rob.
Wherever Rob was, Brody went, and if he couldn’t go
with him, he lingered, lying in dejection, on the floor outside whatever room
Rob was in or whatever door he’d disappeared through, waiting for his favorite
person to reappear. Always on duty. Waiting for Rob. For as long as it took.
Now he waits for me. Outside whatever door I’m
standing behind. Because we both know Rob’s not coming back.
I don’t know where Rob got the idea he didn’t want any
more dogs. Maybe it’s because many animals do exactly what Brody does—gaze into
your heart and expose its tenderness. Rob kept his feelings hidden much of the
time, unless he was watching a movie like Mighty Joe Young. I caught him crying
at the end of it once and jabbed him in the arm.
“You big phony,” I accused. “You try to act so tough
and here you are weeping over a giant fake gorilla falling off a building.”
He wiped his eyes and blew his nose. “Mighty Joe Young
isn’t a fake,” he said, holding back his famous grin. He knew he’d been caught.
Rob was a softy and every animal on the planet knew it. Especially our dogs.
And our kids. One night while they still lived at home, Rob was reading to Katy
and Lee from “All Things Great And Small,” the story of a country vet in
England in the ‘40’s. When he reached a part where an elderly man had to allow
his aging canine to be put down, Rob couldn’t read anymore. I’m not even sure
they ever finished the book.
In the interim between our last dog, Sydney, and
Brody, Rob went out of town a few times and I was alone with no pet to keep me
company til he returned. Once, I borrowed our daughter’s protective yellow lab,
Gunner, for a week. This guy was up in years but, when duty called, he never
slept through it. If I was in the shower, Gunner was positioned on the mat
outside the door. If I was sleeping, he was on the floor beside the bed. Rob
and I both adored Katy’s dog, almost as much as she and her family did. And
when Gunner passed away last December, Rob cried on the phone as Katy told him
about it.
Of the three rescue dogs we’ve owned, Brody is the
most sensitive, people loving pet we’ve ever had. He needs to be with people,
even if I’m the only one available. He’d rather sit with his rear end pushed up
against my knees so I’ll pet his ears and massage his bony hips than do just about anything else. And when
I’m crying, it doesn’t matter where he is or where I am, he finds me.
Like he found me tonight. Sometimes the loss settles
in on me and I stop running and just give in to the sorrow. This morning it hit
me hard and made me grateful for the very secluded, nearly soundproof space of
my little garage apartment. Hopefully the only one who hears my sobs when that
happens is my dog. It’s barely a few seconds before he’s at my side, head on my
lap, chocolate brown eyes looking up at me with concern. Tonight, in
resignation, I sat on the sofa in my room and let the sobs run their course,
like a faucet left on. And Brody was there, his head on my lap, waiting, for as
long as it took.
And then he did something he rarely does. He carefully
launched his front legs and then most of the rest of his seventy-pound frame up
on my lap, and as my salty tears fell, he licked my face. He just stayed there,
my arms around him, both of us silently grieving the loss of the most important
person in our world, together. For the longest time.
The memories rush in sometimes, riding the crest of the
grief waves below them, and with no warning at all I am suddenly upside down,
drowning in the deep. I do what I can to hang on if that happens in public, or
in the truck at seventy miles an hour, or on the produce aisle of a grocery
store. But when it happens here, in my room, I’m learning to let those feelings
have their day.
And to let Rob’s dog comfort me until it passes by. I
know he’ll be at my side while I miss Rob and cry, offering his presence, never
running after something more fun the way our other dogs did. It’s not the same
as having Roby here, but having Brody at my side is a comfort nevertheless.
Rob’s dog will stay with me, just like the grief does.
For as long as it takes.

What a good boy, Brody. <3
ReplyDeleteThe best. :)
Delete❤️❤️❤️ nothing like a dog to offer comfort. No judgment
ReplyDeleteSo true, Sandy. There's nothing like a dog's love.
DeleteBrought tears to my eyes. Nothing like the comfort of a loyal dog ❤️❤️
ReplyDeleteThank you for letting me know you're here. This dog of mine is really something wonderful.
Delete