“I’m exhausted, buddy,” I said, as I walked into my
room this morning and plopped into a chair. “It takes forever for me to get
ready.” Brody looked at me like I was speaking Chinese. I tried again. “It’s hard
to be a people,” I told him. “You’re lucky you’re a dog.”
His head tilted in curiosity, he folded his doe brown
ears into perky triangles while his dark, obsidian eyes watched me expectantly
from the soft cushion where he was lounging. Who knows why. It’s not like I
said any of the forbidden words. Ride. Treat. Wanna Go? I know better
than that—I spell those out whenever he’s around. I guess he thought if I had
something important to say to him, it must mean food or fun was in the forecast.
This is my life. Reduced to conversations with my giant
white dog. Not unlike his dad—who’s away on spiritual business—Brody is a man
of few words. None, actually. Like I said, a lot like Rob. Still, it’s useful
having him around. I entertain myself at his expense, exercising sarcasm,
asking him pointless questions, scolding him for chasing cats and skunks.
Yesterday he was in lockdown for the entire day
because of that one. Washing my face in the bathroom the night before last, I
heard voices in the hall and stuck my head out to investigate.
“Do you smell a skunk?” Katy asked as Dan headed into
the laundry room. I did. Weird, since skunks usually wander around outside.
This one must have gotten into some serious garlic because his fragrance was
wafting through solid walls.
My face went pale. Well, it’s always pale, but I
assumed my freckles disappeared into my natural paleness as a terrifying
thought popped into my brain. “Brody’s outside,” I told them.
It took all of five seconds to realize he’d introduced
himself to something with a bad attitude and stinky breath once we found him.
He spent the night locked in the laundry room, suffered the indignity of a
serious bath the next morning (thank you, Katy—you’re my hero) along with his
pseudo-sibling, Rocky, and dried in isolation for the next twenty hours until
he was deemed suitable for polite company.
Maybe that’s why he looked at me like that when I
complained about washing my hair, putting on makeup, and gathering all my stuff
to go run errands. I don’t know nuthin’ about a dog’s life.
Well, maybe there’s one thing I know—this guy loves to
go for a ride. Just open a car door in his general vicinity, and he’s right
there in the pilot seat, ready for take-off. Last summer when Rob and I were
renting a cabin in Greer, friends from the Valley came up for a few days to
hang out. When they got ready to leave, they discovered an extra passenger in
their sedan. With the doors left open to load their luggage, Brody escaped down
the cabin steps and leaped inside—seventy pounds of fluffy, white energy filled
the entire front seat. They coaxed him out of the car, and he ran around to the
passenger door, jumped back in, and took his place again behind the wheel.
He’s not a backseat driver. He’s an opportunist.
When we went dog hunting at the pound four years ago,
though, one of the things I hoped for was a companion who enjoyed riding in the
car the way our first pup, Harmony, did. Our second dog, Sydney, didn’t especially
like the open road. Suffering from high blood pressure and anxiety, she practically
broke out in hives any time a car even showed up in the driveway. Taking her to
required appointments like the vet or the groomer sent her into a tizzy,
drooling all over the seat and staring nervously out the windows. That’s how
some people act when they ride with me, too, come to think of it. In her case,
though, she did that no matter who sat behind the wheel of the car.
So, we lucked out when we chose Brody. It was a gamble
whether he’d turn out like Harmony or Sydney. It’s not like you can interview a
dog about his likes and dislikes and peculiar habits when you decide to adopt
him, you know.
“So, White Dog, do you enjoy car rides? Long walks on
the beach? Pina coladas and gettin’ caught in the rain?” He’s so compliant he
barked ‘yes’ to every question, especially the one about getting caught in the
rain. How do you trust a dog who can’t say no?
He misses Rob, though. I can tell. We both do. Rob
played outside with him every day, throwing a ball with that great arm of his. Taking
him on long bike rides. Teaching Brody to catch lizards. You should have seen
that one. Hunkered down beside the dog, with his hands on each side of his
head, Rob directed Brody’s gaze to our back wall where the lizards liked to
sunbathe. Once they had radar lock, Brody went into stealth mode, tiptoeing
like a cat as he stalked the wild, rabid lizard and then launched himself at
the trespasser. He launched himself so well, one afternoon, he smacked his nose
right into the wall. After that, he was a lot more . . . prudent.
There are plenty of things for Brody to chase here where
we live at the Brady Funny Farm now, or as I like to call it, the Brady
Rehabilitative Ranch. So, I don’t need to point out anything to my crazy mutt
except that skunks are a stupid thing to stalk. And I have a terrible throwing
arm, so my poor dog has no tennis balls to chase after, either.
What I do have, though, is a truck. And the love of
long drives. And that secret, dangerous question, “Wanna go for a ride?” He
always knows when I’m about to ask, taking his best sitting position, tail
wagging behind him like it’s sweeping the ground for landmines. As soon as he
hears those magic words, he leaps off the ground like Tigger—no kidding—straight
up onto the backseat of my Tahoe, settles himself in on the floorboard,
launches his shoulders and front paws up on the console, and the next thing you
know, two blonde heads are side by side in the front seat, charting another
course across the desert.
We escaped together again tonight after dinner. A few
miles down the road, we pulled into a Starbucks drive-thru and he slid off the
console, climbed up on the backseat, and pressed his nose against the side
window until I rolled it down. He knew what was coming. A Puppaccino—Starbucks’
version of a whipped cream-filled paper cup just for canine passengers.
Don’t judge me.
I held it for him while he licked it clean and we were
back on the road again, heading nowhere in particular for a while. Mostly
because I get lost in the dark and have to turn around a lot, but that’s not
really important. Eventually, we decided we’d had enough fun and it was time
to go home. There’s a lot of road construction near our street, so I turned a
mile early hoping to avoid it. But I forgot that Ocotillo Road doesn’t go
through to the east from Val Vista until it was too late. Making a u-turn, I
glared at my companion who clearly didn’t understand how he’d let me down.
“Why’d you let me turn that way, Brody? Geez, you’re
the worst navigator ever.” He responded the way he always does and licked my
face.
Well, I thought, when you put it that way, I guess it’s
not the end of the world. I spun around in the world’s best turning radius truck,
and we headed for all the flashing beacons in the narrowed two-mile stretch of
Chandler Heights Road that led back to the farm.
We’ll probably run away from home again tomorrow night
or the next. I know Brody will never turn me down when I ask nicely.
All I have to worry about is whether he plans to drive
and make me the navigator. No matter what he thinks, he's only licensed to be a dog. And besides, he's no good at making u-turns.
If he was, he'd have never been caught by that skunk.

I can just see Brody giving you that wet kiss as you drive along. Loved hearing that irrepressible sense of humor that is so you.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Nancy. It's good to give space to the funny I love to play with.
DeleteSo glad he turned out like Harmony!❤😍😘 Safe travels.
ReplyDeleteMe, too! :)
ReplyDelete