Maybe I can blame it on low blood sugar. Or high blood
sugar. I get those two mixed up. Does eating too much chocolate make you cry
or does crying make you eat too much chocolate? This is as philosophical as it
gets, I know.
Clearly, there’s too little clarity here. Just a lot
of crying.
And that’s not right. It’s the wrong time of year for
crying. This is the “hap - happiest season of all.” “The most wonderful time of
the year.” I used to keep myself insulated from pain this time of year. Once Hallmark
and Hobby Lobby opened their Pandora boxes of Christmas ribbon and fake snow, I
put on my red and green blinders and refused to look at anything that didn’t
scream “Happy Holidays!” I wanted my Christmas, and I wouldn’t let anything
ruin it for me.
You know my family has suffered a tremendous loss this
year. In February, my Rob succumbed to covid and Jesus gathered him into His
arms. We let him go. We had to. In a few days it will be ten months since I
last held Rob’s hand. I’ve been making my way through all the “firsts” ever
since. The first Valentine’s Day without my true love. The first Easter. All
our birthdays. Our anniversary. Last month was Thanksgiving. In less than two
weeks, Christmas. None of them have felt the same without Rob.
We’re not alone in our loss. In fact, we are
surrounded by so much suffering I’ve begun to wonder if we have any right to
celebrate anything anymore. A friend lost her son soon after Rob died. Several
firefighters have lost their cancer battles this year, men my son-in-law worked
with. Another friend’s son, a father with young children, has a terminal
diagnosis. More friends of Rob’s parents have passed this fall. Multiple
friends of mine have endured their own covid crises, some of them hospitalized,
most surviving after strenuous battles, while others still fight in ICU. And
that doesn’t take into account the wearying state of the world as we each
determine how best to navigate an abnormal normal. Always, as Jesus foretold,
there are wars and rumors of wars. Weather peculiarities have been so frequent,
they’re becoming the norm. Yesterday the worst tornado on record scoured America’s
heartland and tonight close to one hundred families are grieving the loss of
people they loved. Our son and his family in Kentucky were spared. Others were
not. At Christmas.
How, under the low hanging clouds of sorrow, can we
dare allow joy in any measure to invade our lives? How dare we sing of Joy To
The World?
I took my daughter and her family to see a play this
afternoon. My son loves this story, too, and quotes the unexpected heroine on
social media every Christmas morn. Katy read “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” to
her children (and me) a couple of weeks ago, so when we found out a local children’s
theater group was performing a musical rendition of it today, I bought tickets.
We needed some laughter and hope in a season that has arrived with heartbreak. The story of a rowdy group of outcast siblings who invade the
sanctimonious performance of a local church’s annual Christmas play is
hilarious on its own. But when the new arrivals steal the show with their own startling
realization that the baby in the manger is just like them, tradition and ego
are tossed out like discarded wrapping paper and the ground beneath the cradle proves
level. There wasn’t a dry eye in the room.
“Hey!” Imogene Herdman yelled with genuine enthusiasm,
her halo askew and her face smattered with dirt. “Unto you a Child is born!” She
wasn’t your ordinary, everyday angel. But it wasn’t an ordinary, everyday
newborn either. Babies arrive wrapped in hope, little miracles that remind us not to give up.
Here on the mini-farm where two sheep, two dogs, one
tortoise, and multiple chickens reside, there are also three little pigs. Appropriate,
right? One male and two females: Boris, Natasha, and Maggie. Boris and Natasha
became parents early this morning. The timing was incredible. After weeks of
speculation about whether Natasha was eating like a pig or just eating for two
(or ten), close inspection yesterday revealed that the little lady was about to
become a mother. Boris and Maggie were ousted from their family’s enclosure,
the pig pen was mucked out, fresh hay brought in, a heat lamp set up, and
though no one knew the timing, everyone prepared and waited. For a minute.
This morning I wandered out to see the little ones after reading the proclamation of their birth in an excited text message. There
inside a small stable, surrounded by warm hay, Natasha lay resting while the
newborns, Dasher and Dancer (well, it is Christmas), brother and sister,
enjoyed their first ever breakfast. Baby pigs are almost as cute as baby goats.
The Brady Farm has birthed quite a number of animals over the years, but this
is the first time I’ve been here to witness such fresh arrivals.
Last night, surprised as we all were by the delightful
news that baby animals would soon be born, I told Katy, “New life is always
wonderful.” Death has paid too many
visits to us and our family, our friends, and our world this year. Though my
shattered heart recovers slowly, even I felt it—a tiny sparkle of joy at the
news that soon we would have a reason to celebrate the miracle of life again. I was
caught off-guard by the thrill I felt. I guess even in frightening, uncertain
times, Carl Sandburg continues to be right. “A baby is God’s opinion that the
world should go on.” Even if the baby belongs to a pig named Natasha.
While the world, whether corporately or personally, may
appear to have plunged into total darkness, it has not. Because unto us a Child
was born—the Life, the apostle John said, that is the Light of men. And the Light
shines on in the darkness, for the darkness has never overpowered it.
And it never will. Finally,
after a year of horror, a sparkle of hope invades my heart, and I remember
again that love always wins.
Hey! Unto you a Child is born!
I love this. I love that there are new babies to watch over.
ReplyDeleteIt's really fun to watch, Laurie.
ReplyDelete