It’s a sad anniversary. Not in honor of a wedding
forty-five years ago. No longer a celebration of our first date in 1974. That
one was always a bigger deal for you than the day we said I Do. It’s not even the one coming up in February.
A year ago today was the last time we ever lived
together. Last night was a year since I slept beside you. The last time I
kissed your lips. The last time we had a home. And a life. Dreams. And one
another.
A year ago today I lost everything.
I didn’t see this pain coming, Baby. I’ve been bracing
for February 19, not January 13. But the nightmare began weeks before we had to
let you go. Nine days in the hospital for me, worrying about you from a
separate room. Four weeks once I got here, waiting for the phone to ring twice
a day. Your sister kept us updated with news from your doctors while we all
held our breath and hoped against hope . . .
That you’d make it. We all believed you would. We’d
been believing it ever since Dan drove up and called for the ambulances. I was
so relieved when they all arrived. I just needed someone to take care of me. To
take care of you. To take care of Brody. We were so sick. I was grateful for
oxygen. Grateful for doctors and nurses and a place to rest. I knew we’d get
well. You always got well, Rob. So did I. But this time . . .
Well, this time was different.
You sent me a picture of you in your hospital bed,
blowing me a kiss while wearing the bi-pap oxygen line, tethered to all those
monitors. I was so full of hope. And relief. And delusion. We didn’t know how
sick we were, did we, darlin’? Especially, how sick you were. It took
five long weeks for all of us to realize that this time . . .
This time. It was the last photo taken of you.
I began to cry last week, dreading today. Knowing it
would all roll back in on me. The nightmare days I spent in the hospital while
the nurses danced around the truth every time I asked how you were doing. The
guilt I felt when I had to tell you they were going to release me. The catch in
your struggling breath as you answered, “I’m so glad for you, darlin’.” You couldn’t
come with me. I couldn’t stay. They wouldn’t let me come back. Not until . . .
The last time I saw you. That’s the next hurdle. That
day will be here in a few weeks—when it’s been three hundred sixty-five days since
I touched your hand and kissed your forehead and watched you fade away. I
always thought you were going to make it, Babe. No one could have had more
faith than me that you’d rally and we’d have one heck of a story to tell. This
wasn’t the story I had in mind.
I’m talking to God again, honey. I guess you already
know that. It’s different now. I don’t even know what prayer is anymore. It’s
not what I thought. It’s not what everyone else thought either. But the other
night I cried out to Him, asking Him to comfort me and give me hope. Right away
Romans 8:28 rose up. For we know that all things work together for good to
those who love God. That’s a tall
order. Losing you wasn’t God’s fault, no matter what anyone has tried to tell
me. If they believe that, they don’t know God.
The first time I asked God to comfort me after you
left was the first time I’ve ever had a vision from Him. As hard as it was for
me to focus in those early days without you here, I sat with my eyes closed and
tried to wait for hope. I saw God reach for me with His left arm and pull me in
close to Him. It was pure and tender, and I knew He saw my anguish. When He
turned to face me, I saw his right arm was wrapped around you, Babe. He saw the
heartbreak in us and held us close to Himself. All three of us just stood there.
I think I’ve spent most of my life telling people I
love goodbye. Waiting until I could see them again. Separation is the story of
this broken world. But in that moment, hope pulled back the veil and I saw God’s
heart for us. Sharing in our pain. Standing as the connection between us.
Promising that He’d make good come out of even this horror.
I don’t know how He’s going to do it. I’m not even
sure I believe it. I’m tired of pretending I have all the answers. None of us
know. None of us have any idea what we’re doing. You know more than any of us
now—you don’t even need faith anymore.
But I do. I need faith. I need hope. I need to get
through the next five weeks as the last year finally counts down and I can put
the “year of firsts” behind me. If only I didn’t have to. If only this time . . .
I could wake up and you’d still be here.
No words that I can say. ❤️❤️
ReplyDeleteThank you for being here, my friend.
DeleteI'm honored to share in your pain, in your vulnerability. It's so good for those of us on the "outside" to be able to hear the reality of your grief. To get a glimpse inside your hurting soul. So many bury and hide. And to hear you ASSURED and EXPERIENCING that there is light in the darkness amidst the pain. To me that is true faith, true relationship with a living God who loves us so deeply, laughs and cries with us. Makes me want to know Him and seek Him more. Your glory--God's glory in you--is revealed so clearly in your writing, my friend. You are brave in the battle and He is indeed fighting for you.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said, Susie. So true. <3
DeleteI'm so deeply touched by these kind words, Sue. Thank you, my friend.
DeleteAnniversaries - happy and sad. This and the upcoming are so sad and I sit here crying with you. My heart breaks with you 💔
ReplyDeleteYou are so dear to me, my friend.
DeleteYou have me crying again, Eula. I can picture everything you described as if I was there with you in the hospital room, getting a glimpse of seeing what you were seeing and feeling what you were feeling for those 5 weeks. What a beautiful vision God gave you in your indescribable pain. Your words are so precious and I love your conversations with God telling Him you need faith and hope. I've had February 19th on my heart as well, dreading that anniversary, but I didn't remember what day you went into the hospital. What a hard year. I'm so sorry and grieve with you my cherished friend. <3 Love you so much! You have somehow found strength in the Lord. Rob must be so proud of you. xoxo
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing.I'm sorry for all that you've gone through. I'm praying God will give you strength to get through everyday & that you continue to seek & yest Him. He is your constant.
DeleteThank you, Kim. Your words touch me so deeply, my friend.
DeleteThank you for visiting here, unknown friend. Thank you for your prayers.
ReplyDelete