Saturday, September 3, 2022

Dominoes

Triggers. They connect the dots like a falling wall of dominoes.

Watching my favorite detective series about an FBI agent and his sidekick, as the credits roll the agent surprises his longsuffering wife with a surprise marriage vow renewal, the intimate wedding of her dreams.

And, just like that, I remember.

The evening I picked Rob up from the airport after he’d been gone for two weeks, and instead of taking the familiar route home, he drove us to a resort for the night. Overwhelmed by the surprise, I told him there were things I’d need for a night way from home and what about the kids? The kids, enjoying a sleepover of their own, had packed my bag, he answered. It was in the back of the van. I never saw it there. I was in such a hurry to see him again.

Triggers have a domino effect, much like the tears rolling down my face.

A new memory arose, right on the tail of the previous. A full-on vow renewal of our own, celebrated in the backyard of friends under twinkle lights, complete with an audience and a fresh topper on the wedding cake. From there we flew to the UK to finish celebrating our twenty-fifth anniversary.

There will be no more celebrations like those. I've been sidelined.

While I’m still Rob’s wife, I’m not a couple anymore. My presence presents a problem where foursomes are the norm. I can’t join in any longer on conversations when the topic turns to the habits of husbands. There won’t be any more surprise rendezvous with the love of my life. The anniversary clock stopped cold at forty-four years together, even though I’ll remember that day when year forty-six arrives right on time this month.

The line of memories is endless. The tiny reminders, the triggers, wait to sabotage even TV shows I enjoy. I’m learning that grief is something I will carry for the rest of my life. Not because I admire the way it slips over my shoulder and hangs at my side like a leather purse. But because it has moved into the hole in my heart where all my love for Rob resides. We grieve deeply because we loved deeply.

This is a lot of pain to observe. It has the potential to be a buzzkill, turning casual encounters on their head the way this afternoon’s pastime transformed into tears. A ninety-degree shift like that can leave you with whiplash.

Casual. I’m not very good at casual anymore. My elephants have been good at witnessing the aftereffects of my life's devastation. They are learning, just like I’ve had to learn, that advice is seldom appreciated. Ordinary questions can cause extraordinary pain. And in the end, when normal really does turn out to only be a setting on the dryer, everyone winds up with either unintentional hurt or a realization that they’ve been misunderstood. The wounded are wounded again while the healers are afraid to say anything at all.

This, too, is grief.

I don’t know why I got thrown into this hell hole. Perhaps it’s simply “too many candles on my birthday cake” as doctors have begun to tell me. It’s the price of love, I’ve read online, I think. Or somewhere else. Who knows. There are the judgy, unhelpful religious answers, of course, but those should be moved to the sin category and never mentioned in public again.

It’s simply very lonely here. I hear stories of some widows and how they’re doing. I’ve even met one or two of them and heard them take the high road, put on their happy faces, and tell everyone how thankful they are and what gratitude they have for the years they were granted with their soulmates. How staying busy is the answer and trusting God fills in all the other blanks.

And I don’t believe a word of it.

Which is where I found myself crying again this afternoon. I don’t measure up. I have never felt like I do, and even now when I’ve lost everything and am no longer trying to prove anything, I don’t measure up. I don’t have a straight A report card detailing how I’m moving on and getting better. There are no checklists showing resolute advancement into the Season of Life promotion I’ve been given. There’s no handbook on grief. No roadmap either. “It’s different for everyone,” the authorities write. So, good luck. You’re on your own trying to figure out how to start all over again without your beloved.

Just remember – be better, not bitter. It could be worse. At least you’re not raising children on your own. You don’t have to go to work to support yourself. You have your health. Try to stay positive. Keep a stiff upper lip. Rob would want you to live your best life.

Like I said. I don’t measure up.

If grief is another of life’s great equalizers, it’s been hijacked by the admirable desire that we find happiness again. As soon as possible. This year even the American Psychiatric Association decided that grief is a disorder when it lasts more than one year.* This makes it easier for doctors to prescribe medication that insurance companies will pay for - their words, not mine. Unfortunately, even medication does little to eliminate the problem of grief. And the pressure from professionals and innocent bystanders to cheer up results in fear among people already trying to find their way through the dark. What is a natural response to loss is now considered by some to be mental illness.

We already don’t know how to grieve. We don’t know how to support those in the middle of grief, either. So why not add to the confusion by labeling those in loss with a disorder and pressure them to take medication to cover up the symptoms?

I know this is starting to sound like circular reasoning, but it all comes back to the same thing. We don’t know what to do about the problem of grief. Even mental health professionals are on opposing teams. My favorite author on the topic explains, “Grieving people are met with impatience precisely because they are failing the cultural storyline of overcoming adversity.” **

Death, more than anything else, reminds us that we are not in control. And that’s a tough pill to swallow no matter which side of the fence you lean against.




** Megan Devine, "It's Okay That You're Not Okay", p. 34







Many thanks to JoLynne Martinez for permissiosn to use her fluid photo of falling dominoes in this post. The original photo can be viewed by following this link: Falling Dominoes | Photographed in response to this week's C… | Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment