“What happened to your leg?” she asked, looking at its
fresh scar as I tucked my feet into the warm water of the pedicure basin.
“Knife fight.”
Her eyes went wide, and she sat back in her low seat. “What?!”
I knew why she was surprised. In my blue jeans,
pullover top, and sensible sandals I don’t look like the type to get into a bar
brawl. I’m not. I don’t drink. And I wouldn’t want to ruin my nails.
“I was attacked by a dermatologist and she
won,” I said. Skin cancers are my true enemies, not assailants in back alleys. Just
to be safe, though, I try to avoid back alleys.
People underestimate me all the time. They size me up
in half a glance and think they know me, sometimes writing me off in the process.
Gray-blonde hair, probably a grandma. True. No wedding ring, must
be a widow. Also true, although that one hurts. A lot. Squints at street
signs, must need glasses. Seriously? Everyone my age squints. Sensible
sandals, probably boring. Not true. My feet don’t typically get me in trouble.
My mouth does.
Reconnecting at lunch with an old friend, she noticed something about
me while I held the menu at arms’ length.
“Does that say the burgers come with jalapenos?” I
asked her. “Cuz it kind of looks like they put pickles on them.”
“It says pickled jalapenos.”
“Oh. Maybe I’ll just have salad then. Pickles offend
me.” I set the menu aside and picked up my coke.
“You have a tattoo,” she announced.
“I do?” I looked at my arm where a purple symbol
smiled back at me. “I do!”
She laughed. “You don’t seem the type to have tattoos.”
“You have to watch out for the quiet ones,” I said.
Warning people about quiet types usually makes them lean their heads to one side. They wonder what other secrets I'm hiding. What inside intel do I have that could make a salad appear more tantalizing than a pickled jalapeno burger?
I have two tattoos. Three, if you count the fact that
I had the first one done twice. It hurt twice, so I’m counting it that way. The
other one is on the inside of my foot which is one of the most painful places
to let someone stab you with needles, so I’m counting that one twice, too. That
gives me a grand total of four tattoos and a medal for bravery. Or idiocy. It’s
a toss-up.
She was right, though. I don’t seem the type to do
wild and crazy things. When I walk through a door, cloaked in insecurity as I
am, I dress in a manner which allows me to blend in with the wallpaper.
Although, I prefer to think of it as being stealthy. If no one notices me, it
gives me plenty of time to size them up, too. I guess it works both ways.
It’s not like my Boring Badge is a new thing, though.
I’ve had it since kindergarten when all the boys chased Brigitte Nelson across
the playground because she was so perky while I watched from the top of the monkey
bars because I was so sensible. No way
was I going to let a herd of five-year-olds tackle me in the grass. Do you know
how hard it is to get grass stains out of a blue jumper?
Things were no better in high school. Instead of
joining the yearbook committee with its cool staff advisor and after-school
parties, I wrote articles for the school newspaper in a classroom where they
never ordered in pizza during editing. Yearbooks are forever. Newspapers are
for washing windows, if they even exist anymore, which I’m pretty sure they don’t.
Right after graduation, I married and went to work as
a secretary for a law firm. Secretaries don’t exist anymore either because
typewriters went the way of newspapers. Lawyers, however, have the same
longevity as yearbooks. And the same after-school parties every Friday, only at
the Five O’Clock Club. As fun as I know I am, I’m not as much fun as my also-married
boss thought I should be.
One morning, he unexpectedly placed both hands on my
desk, leaned in close and said, “I’d like to get you drunk some time and find
out what you’re really like.”
I looked into his spectacled eyes where a slip of
graying hair fell over the rim of his glasses and told him that would never
happen.
“Why?” he asked. “Are you that good at keeping
secrets?”
“No,” I told him. “I’m that good at staying sober.”
See, today we would call that sexual harassment. In 1977,
I called it quits. I bet he never thought I’d expose him here in public for
that. Surprise! Lucky for him, he’s probably dead by now and doesn’t care.
There are lots of ways to have fun that don’t involve
hangovers or nasty extra-marital affairs. Actually, those two things don’t
sound fun at all. They sound like a recipe for self-destruction and I’m too big
a chicken to want to risk that.
I’m just saying, I think it’s fun to surprise people by
not turning out to be the person they think you are. It’s kind of easy for me to
do that to people because life keeps forcing me to change directions. I’m not
turning out to be the person I thought I was, either. I’m discovering that some
of my friends were right—I’m braver than I believed and stronger than I seem.
I’m toying with the idea of getting a third/fifth
tattoo. Something delicate but bold, attractive but cautionary. Something that
tells people who I am right off the bat so they can save time sizing me up or
putting me down. A friend of mine has one of these. I bet she’d let me borrow
it.
Fierce. In twelve-point Lucida Sans Typewriter font. Just for old times’ sake.
I don’t think it would scare off my dermatologist, though. I’ve got to stop meeting her in back alleys.

I'm just not sure I can convey how much I adore you, sweet Aunt. And you may be seen as unassuming...but I know you well enough to be sure who'd win in that back alley! ❤️
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you, Mendy. ❤️ Now that you mention it, I still have a few karate skills up my sleeve. Mainly, I can yell really, really loud! 😉
Delete