Monday, August 26, 2024

You Are Here

I’m so lonely. It’s the hardest thing to deal with. It comes on me so often in the twilight, just like tonight, when I’m tired and need Rob. I need Rob. I’ve always needed Rob. When I was sixteen and we fell in love and I knew in my bones, in the bones of my soul even, that I felt safe with him, I needed him. I was protected by him. Seen and loved by him. His patience was a safe harbor for me, one I’d never experienced in all my life.

He was always my safe harbor. Always the voice of reason and calm. He never jumped to conclusions. Never held a grudge. He wasn’t superman. He had his faults, thank goodness, or we could have never even been friends. But he was my hero. I was so lucky to be his wife and the love of his life for forty-six years, all told.

I was thinking today that if, whether by magic or miracle, he would return to me suddenly, that after all these months and months, three and a half years, of being forced to live without him, I’ve probably changed in ways I’m unaware of and he might step in and start telling me how I ought to do things his way because “it’s easier,” and then the fight would be on. It made me feel sad. Like I’m in this in between space of waking up and breathing every day, seeing familiarity develop as each year goes by and I have to do life without him, making memories without him, and yet longing for him so much that I can’t stop the deep ache in my heart. I'm doing the impossible, moving forward against my will. But it would be worth fighting with him just to be in his arms again.

I can’t stop it sometimes, the longing for him. I can’t “be grateful” most of the time. I can’t “put a positive spin” on it ever. He should still be here. He should still be here.

It must be a tiresome thing to be a friend to a woman like me. Deeply mourning her soulmate, well past the time most people think it should take to be over him. I will never be over him. I’ve written about this so often, using every word picture I can imagine to describe what it’s like to lose half your body and, to both your surprise and sorrow, still find yourself breathing. How tiresome to touch base with me or read my recent thoughts in a post and discover that the tears still fall every day, my life is still completely changed, and I don’t know where happiness is anymore. And that if you truly want to know what it’s like to be a widow, you will eventually realize you can never fix this.

How tiresome to keep coming back for more of that. How tiresome of me not to change my thoughts and make my life better and think to myself that Rob “would want me to be happy.” No one knows what Rob would want. He never got the chance to tell us.

Surviving the loss, the untimely death, of your person takes the rest of your life. How ironic to call it surviving, then. We think surviving is the victory that sets us free to live. To move on. Go forward. Find your way. There’s no finish line for this kind of survival, though. Never before have I had to work so hard to get through one painful breath at a time as I do now in moments like these. To be honest, this happens in moments now instead of every other minute as they did for the first entire year or more. But when these moments happen, when grief comes to the surface again, I am swept away once more in a tsunami of sorrow. It’s true that the waves of grief become further apart as time goes by, but they are never less intense.

People are ashamed of grieving. Embarrassed by it, whether it’s their own or someone else’s. There is a vulnerability inherent in grief. It plays no favorites. It reduces a person to their most basic self, stripping away pretense, washing away dreams and priorities. You find out who you are in grief. Do you believe that God is still good or will you spit in his face and run from him forever? Of the friends who remain when the storm ceases to roar, which ones have learned to see you and hear you and which ones have taught you how to do the same? Of the magnitude of blessings that remain in your life, are you able to wrap your arms around them and see their pain in this loss, too? In a world divided between those who still have and those who have not, can you be glad that they still have what you don’t? At least for now? Can you hold space for yourself, hold space for the empty space left behind by your love, feel the ache that never goes away even while you laugh and spend time with someone who loves you?

We see through a glass darkly, not yet face to face. We are not entitled to answers. Perhaps because we can’t handle the truth. We don’t speak the language of truth. We can’t see what’s waiting for us in a dimension we’ve never experienced. We’re in the waiting room, and it might be a long wait. A long time before we see our beloved again, face to face. What kind of roots am I putting down right now, how far do they stretch into the earth while I desperately search for stability in the aftermath of being violently shaken? I don’t know.

I don’t know.

There were long stretches in my life when I thought I understood how life works. How God works. I had answers, but no questions. Now I have questions, but no answers. And as time goes on, and I gain more experience in carrying grief, a thing that cannot be fixed, I realize a map has been drawn leading from where this began to where I am now. Others are beginning to need that map. Others are beginning their own journeys along this inevitable road, and I am sorry. So very sorry. I’m sorry that I once thought a scripture verse could stop the bleeding in someone’s broken heart. I’m sorry that I thought grief and loss were contagious and kept my distance from those in pain. I am sorry that I didn’t know or practice the art of simply showing up.

Grief was once my enemy. Grief is now my friend. It reminds me that I once loved deeply, that I was once loved deeply, and that missing Rob is temporary.

Grief holds space for our reunion.







With thanks to Jonathan Sureau for the wonderful photo seen above. The original can be viewed by following this link: Tourist Map of Hazelbrook and Lawson | Notes: compiled and d… | Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment