The neighbors have a new dog. A mid-sized brindle who loves to chase the chickens all around the pasture, rounding them up like runaway peas on a toddler’s plate. She’s having a ball. Them, not so much. They seem confused by the interloper in their backyard. After all, they were there first. By all rights, they should be chasing the dog, but they haven’t figured that out yet.
I’ve watched this track and field phenomena play out most
afternoons since the pup, Sadie, arrived, and I have some thoughts about it.
And, just to be clear, I am not stalking my neighbors. It’s just that my desk
faces a window that looks out at their pasture. I’m a curious onlooker. A city
girl who always wanted to be a farmer. It’s been educational. For example, from
everything I can see from my padded office chair, I’ve learned that I’m way too
lazy to follow my country girl dreams.
The first time I noticed Sadie living out her cattle
dog instincts, I thought she escaped the backyard and had gone rogue in the
family’s pasture. Standing on my tippy toes at the dining room window—still not
stalking, just concerned—I watched with alarm to see if she was sorting through
the feathered herd in search of just the right snack. I’ve heard of family dogs
going dark like that. One minute they’re scarfing up Kibble ‘n Bits, and the
next they’ve got soggy feathers in their teeth. Eeww.
But this happy herder didn’t plan on any takedowns. Whether
the chickens outran her or she simply respects social distancing rules, no animals
were harmed in the making of this production. I think she just gets her kicks watching the troops
run away while she barks orders at them like a Marine corporal at bootcamp.
I
don’t know but I’ve been told
Chickens
think that dogs are trolls
I
don’t know but it’s been said
Happy
dogs are chicken fed
Which, of course, is just good-natured heckling
between farm animals. I know this because I never once saw a feather fly during
the relays across the street while I was definitely not stalking anyone from my
office or dining room windows.
It’s just good clean fun going on over there. But it
really made me wonder about the motivation of chickens. I haven’t actually
counted the flock, but a random guess puts it at roughly eleven, give or take.
Because you can’t be that accurate without binoculars which, of course, would
be ridiculous and certainly proof of stalking.
Let’s just round that number up. There are, perhaps, a
dozen full grown chickens in the pasture across the street and only one Sadie. That
means the chickens outnumber the cattle dog twelve to one. Why haven’t they unionized?
Why are they letting one furry individual bully them like that, scattering them
across the pasture like a bowling alley strike? After all, there’s strength in
numbers. All they have to do is link wings and take a stand. Like a wall of bowling
pins.
Oh. Sadie would probably love that.
I’ve spent a lot of time observing farm animals in the
three years since I arrived at the Brady Rehabilitation Ranch, much of it from
the other side of my house which backs up to my daughter’s pasture. And I’ve
come to this conclusion: animals are much like people but with better
instincts. They know their place in the world, and they don’t demand a different
position in life than the one they were assigned at birth. Once a chicken,
always a chicken. Once a pig, always a pig. Once a sheep, always . . . you get
my drift. And when a new resident shows up in the pasture, first there is
confrontation and then there is acceptance.
Life could be so much simpler for humans if we learned
from our feathered friends. Just let chickens be chicken and let dogs rule the
roost. So to speak.
Well, I never claimed to be a philosopher. I’m just a
writer surrounded by other people’s pastures trying to make sense out of life.
I’m honestly astonished at the variety of animals which can inhabit a
quarter acre piece of land without killing one another. They tolerate each other’s
differences, find their pecking order, run away when they don’t feel like
fighting, and manage to find enough to eat without turning on each other.

You are hysterical! Love the little cadence you created there. Great stuff!
ReplyDeleteThat was fun to create. I even did my own little march and salute here in the office where no one could see without binoculars. ;)
Delete