And so our worst fears have already materialized. AI has crossed over from being useful to being a useful idiot.
I knew this would happen.
All I did was ask my phone a simple question. “When
did Arizona begin calling dust storms haboobs”? I watched its little mind spin
as it searched the universe for a specific date. That’s all I wanted. The
answer to “when?”
I remember where I was when I first heard that the term
“dust storm” wasn’t good enough for our weathermen anymore. I was visiting
friends in Idaho the day someone first videotaped an impressive rolling wall of
dirt, sand and dust as it swallowed Phoenix whole and then called it a haboob,
whatever that was. But what year did that take place?
Either I speak with a lisp or I need to clean
my iPhone’s ears out. The answer was curt.
Arizona
did not start calling dust storms “her boobs;”
the term used is haboob.
Oh, for pity’s sake. Dust storms don’t even resemble
boobs. Doesn’t my iPhone even know me? Why would I ever ask a stupid question
like that? Instantly offended, I searched my screen for a place to respond. Of
course, there wasn’t one. How clever of you, Artificial Intelligence, to
protect yourself from correction. You can dish it out but you can’t take it.
I took a screen shot of my scolding and today I asked it the same question. Once again, AI researched what it heard instead of what I
said. If this keeps up, I’m going to have to put a parental block on my own
phone.
I did get the answer to my question, though. It was
2011 when our local meteorologists first latched onto the term. I remember seeing
pictures of the massive storm on my friend’s computer way back then, mouth
agape, asking, “What the heck is a haboob?”
Listen, I’ve lived in Arizona’s desert for more than
forty-five years of my life. I’ve seen my fair share of summer dust storms.
Maybe you’ve never experienced one, but they’re nasty. They trash swimming
pools with silty soil and leaves and lawn furniture. They’re dangerous to drive
in, especially on freeways, reducing visibility to zero. They cover everything
in dirt and are rarely followed up with a good washdown from the very monsoon
storms that cause them.
Like I said, nasty. And windy. But that’s all they
are. They’re made up entirely of dust and wind and possibly small rodents. Thus
the term, “dust storm.” Which, by the way, is the translation of the Arabic word haboob - Dust Storm.
Sigh. I know. I’m making a butte out of a knoll, or a
mountain out of a mole hill. (Doesn’t really roll off the tongue the same way, does
it?) I’m just saying—if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Here’s my real beef, besides the insertion of foreign
phrases that do nothing to clear the air. The source of haboobs across
the Sahara Desert are thunderstorm downdrafts. They occur when a collapsing
storm creates a wall of airborne sediment miles long and thousands of feet
high.
On the other hand, dust storms in Arizona are caused
by thunderstorm downdrafts. They create a powerful outflow, lifting dusty silt
and debris from the ground and forming a wall of airborne sediment that can be miles long and several
thousand feet high.
Well, that certainly clears it up.
They’re the same thing.
I guess scientists wanted a new word to describe a
really dramatic wall of dirt that looks more impressive than our ordinary run
of the mill variety. So when in the 1970’s they noticed how our dusty summer
monsoons resembled dust storms in Sudan, they imported their word for dust
storm and substituted it for our word for dust storm. In 2011 the internet
adopted the name permanently.
Genius.
The videos of the haboob we experienced here
last week are definitely impressive. But I was home for this one and the only
difference I saw between The Great Haboob of 2025 and every other
dirt flurry I’ve already experienced in the desert this summer was more wind
and the delight of seeing my patio chairs fly across the back porch.
Desert rats like me don’t get that excited by new terms for old storms. And, in my opinion, weathermen who think we do are ha-boobs.
Mother Nature doesn't care what you call her little temper tantrum. Just remember to lock down your patio furniture and cover the pool before the next one hits.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment