Dear Joanna Gaines,
I love
your Magnolia cupcakes, but I live fifteen hours away from your hometown. Once every
other year I make the thousand-mile pilgrimage just to eat a Silos bakery cupcake. This year when I arrived and stood in line, waiting for my favorite
like a two-year-old about to ride her first pony, there was no chocolate
cupcake with white buttercream icing on the menu card. The Silos’ Classic
Cupcake was MIA.
The girl
at the counter smiled and told me the bad news. “We’ve retired that one.”
Retired? How does one retire a cupcake? Not the iconic cupcake of The Silos Baking Co. The one which, with its simple coloring alone, defines the Magnolia style of home renovation - white on black.
Say it isn’t so, Joanna Gaines.
“We have a
Shiplap cupcake,” the attendant offered. Not even close. I’m sure it’s
delicious to those with one note taste—vanilla on vanilla, or chocolate on
chocolate. But I like mixing it up. Chocolate with a heavy dose of white buttercream.
There’s a reason it was named The Classic.
“We offer
a chocolate cupcake with Oreo cookie icing,” she went on, pointing the choice
out on the tear-stained card in my hand. I wiped my nose. Sorry about that.
A
brilliant idea popped into my head, much like the one you had when you decided
to convert a flower shop into a beloved bakery. Since you still make a
chocolate cupcake and you also make white buttercream icing, perhaps someone in
the back room could simply swap one icing for the other?
“I’m
sorry. We don’t do that,” she said.
So I did
it. I paid double and bought two cupcakes so I could swap out the white
buttercream from a Shiplap cupcake onto a de-iced chocolate cupcake and, when I
closed my eyes and didn’t look at the mess I’d made out of two cupcakes, it
tasted the way it was supposed to.
Look at
the desperation to which I’ve been driven.
Oh, Joanna
Gaines. A chocolate cupcake with white icing is the quintessential Modern Farmhouse
Cupcake, right down to its dark foundation and cheerful topper which, if we
were getting picky here, is kind of the opposite of your renovations with their
dark roofs and light exterior, but you get my drift. Tomato, tomahtoe. You don’t
want to retire what is the iconic Silos cupcake! You’d be retiring Magnolia
Market itself. Magnolia Real Estate. Possibly even the entire Magnolia Network.
The chocolate cupcake with white buttercream icing stands on its own without the need for peanut butter. It's richer than lemon or mango or strawberry (don’t tell
my sister—that one’s her favorite.) And peach pie. Okay. That one sounds
awesome.
I don’t
know why The Classic isn’t a big seller anymore, if that’s the reason it no
longer makes the cut. But if I can drive all the way to Waco, Texas, from
Phoenix, Arizona, for a cupcake, can’t you pretty please keep it on the menu?
I don’t
beg for many things. But when my birthday rolls around each May, all I ever
want is a chocolate cake with white buttercream icing. And when Jesus’ birthday
rolls around each December, I have it on good authority that His favorite flavor
combo is the same as mine. Ironic. Listen, I’m not begging for me. I’m asking for Him.
You don’t
want to disappoint Jesus, do you?
Eula
McLeod
p.s. My sister thinks His favorite is strawberry, but she’s wrong.
Object seen in the photo may look more chocolate than intended. I'd already eaten the Classic.


Hahaha, if you haven't sent this to her I will!!! 😄
ReplyDeleteYes! Pretty pretty please do. Maybe she'll put The Classic back on her payroll again.
DeleteLol. Awesome. Made me laugh
ReplyDeleteLaughter is good medicine - almost as good as a Classic Cupcake! ;)
DeleteLove your humor and your wit. And guess what!?!? My favorite cupcake is chocolate with vanilla buttercream icing. And!!!! I bake. So I will gladly bake us some of our fave cupcakes and share them with you along with some girl chat and laughs!
ReplyDeleteAnd I will gladly eat your chocolate cupcake with buttercream frosting! Pick a date and I'll be there!
Delete