"Guilt is the unwanted companion of Grief."
David Kessler wrote that, a man who is an authority on
grief. I don’t think as a little boy that he grew up thinking that’s what he
wanted to be someday, but life is unpredictable. I’m learning that.
I’ve written a lot about sorrow and loss. Sometimes I
do a deep dive and bring up the depths of guilt I feel over your death, Baby,
but it’s a tangled mess of murky thoughts and rotting feelings. It smells bad
and looks worse and I don’t know what to do with it once I bring it to the
surface. Will I be judged by others the way I judge myself for my failures in
your final days? Quickly, it becomes a heavy load and I release it back to the
depths and hope it will fade away somehow.
But that’s not how we get free from dead weight, is
it? Shame keeps it tethered to my ankles and no matter how hard I try to kick
it away, it just hangs on. We have to bring our fears into the light. Speak
them out loud. Take a look at them and see if they’re telling us the truth
about ourselves.
They’re not.
I joined an online support group for widows, did I
tell you that? I'm still finding my way. I know it’s been three years since you left us, but it’s hard
for me to believe that. You still look so alive in your pictures. I still
listen to your voice mails. I still sleep with your shirt at night. It helps me to meet with this international group of women via Zoom to sort out all the tangled
debris left behind when our husbands died. We’re an Ambush of Widows, a Widow’s
Army, Warrior Widows. We each know how much courage it takes to walk through
this. We understand one another’s broken hearts.
Our fearless leader led us through the complex problem
of guilt today. Why it burdens us even though we did the best we could with the
information we had at the time. It comes down to this: we would rather feel
guilt about not saving our beloveds than face the fact that we have no control
over life and death.
It’s easy to look back with 20/20 vision and see where
I could have done some things differently. But here’s what I learned today. Rather
than view those desperate circumstances with the thought, “If only I had . . .”
and be weighed down with a mountain of regret, the truth looks more like this: “Even
if I had . . .”
Even if you and I had secluded ourselves away from every
other person on the planet -
Even if I had realized we had contracted covid when we'd dodged it for a year -
Even if I had sought help for us sooner -
Even if I had beaten down the doors of that hospital and demanded they let me
be with you still–
Even then I still might have lost you.
I have been punishing myself for what I didn’t know
and for what I could not control. Now I know why I do that. Now I know it was
not my fault, though I will have to keep telling myself the truth until I no
longer question it. Now I know life and death are not in my hands.
Now I know - I just didn’t want to let you go.

You said it so well for all of us - no matter the cause or circumstances, we didn’t get to choose the outcome or change things. We did all we could with what we had available at that time. Life and death are not in our hands, but it doesn’t make us miss them any less. Beautifully written. ❤️🩹
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading and commenting, Nancy. It's such a tough journey for all of us. It helps to know there are women who understand, but I'm always sorry that they do.
Delete