Well, I feel stupid.
And when I feel stupid, I do what any normal human being would do—I expose my stupidity in public, which is why I’m telling you what happened instead of focusing on what I should be doing—packing my suitcase for my trip next week. Mainly, I’m procrastinating.
I’m flying to my destination. I don’t usually fly because
. . . I don’t like to get arrested. Freedom of speech isn’t allowed in airports
anymore, and my mouth is always wanting to get me in trouble with the TSA. (Fun fact: when read backwards, TSA stands for American Security Theater.) If freedom from
unreasonable search and seizure was still a protected right, the TSA and I
would have a better relationship. But it’s not, and I worry that if I stand up
for freedom, I’ll live to regret it.
However. Sometimes flying is a necessity, so I’m
leaving my trusty truck at home and zipping my mouth. Here’s the thing. I’m at
the age where any travel, especially flying, is more comfy if I wear
compression socks. I’d hate to admit that if not for the fact that they make my
legs feel good, and feeling good, like happiness, is worth the pursuit.
I needed some new socks and usually I order them
online. Here’s another fun fact. I don’t like shopping anymore, especially in stores.
The internet and the pandemic have both made it a lot easier to let my fingers
do the walking and the mailman do the delivering (although we both know how risky that one is), so I wander around the worldwide web a lot, hoping for a new mailman.
Sometimes that’s a really stupid idea.
I thought I was being smart. I looked at a couple of
sites and read the reviews. People seemed genuinely happy with the version I
settled on. People lied. When the socks finally arrived and I put them on, they
weren’t as compressive as promised, especially in the feet which was my main
concern anyway.
How do I say this? While the socks covered my legs as expected,
the feet were apparently designed to fit a platypus. I kid you not. I put them
on my hands, stretched out my fingers as wide as a piano octave, and there was
still loose sock left over.
Who has feet shaped like this?
And these socks weren’t cheap. I was careful when I pulled
them out of the package so if I needed to return them I could. I needed to. But
that’s when my fatal mistake surfaced—I didn’t order them through Amazon with
its stellar customer service and easy return policy. I didn’t know where this
brand came from and had to dig through my emails to find contact info. I sent
off an email explaining that the socks didn’t fit (shocker) and I’d like to
know how to return them.
I got an answer this morning.
From a platypus.
Dear customer,
Sorry for the unsatisfied purchase.
We
understand the inconvenience and harassment that get unsatisfied item.
Hoo
boy. Right away I realized where these socks came from. I just didn’t know
their feet are shaped like this over there.
We
offer no-hassle returns. You may return most items (unused) in their original
packaging. Please note the cost of return shipping is not included. Shipping
costs and additional service charges are non-refundable.
Shipping
costs were one quarter of the entire price. My profit margin was shrinking
right before my eyes. Boy, did they ever see me coming.
Note: Please do not send
the item back until we authorize the return with the return address in the
email. The address on the package is not our return address. Do never send the
package to that address, or we will not be responsible for the loss.
It’s
hard to believe that after all my years on planet earth, I can still be taken
in by sheisters. But I can. Why are they using a return address that doesn’t
belong to them? I could make a pretty good guess. Not only that, and this is
really hard to admit, but this is the second sock company who sent me socks
that weren’t worth sending back, not even for a complicated refund. Also, doesn’t
anyone believe in relying on a good editor anymore?
From
now on, I will “do never” do business with Facebook companies again.
If
you would like to keep this product after knowing the return policy, we will
refund you $5 as compensation, which we appreciate.
And
this is the point where I laughed out loud. Even they don’t like their socks. In fact, they
would appreciate it if I keep them. It’s worth five bucks to them if I do.
So, I clicked on the button at the end of their email, “I accept your offer,” (which
was one of three buttons, all agreeing to make their life easier by throwing
their socks away myself.) Soon I’ll find out if my refund will arrive with Honest
Abe’s face on it or if it will sport a picture of Penelope Platypus instead.
We
sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this experience may cause and ask for
your understanding.
Oh,
I understand completely. There’s a sucker born every minute and my minute was about
six decades ago.
I think I’ve learned my lesson. Don’t put too much stock in sock reviews and only order through Amazon. I understand, Platypus Sock Company, and in all sincerity I accept your apology. Thank you for your creative version of support hose and entertaining return instructions.
May I suggest, though, that in the future you find a good
editor and refrain from weaving support socks for marine mammals?
It’s gonna cost you a lot of five-dollar bills if you don’t.

Hahaha. Make sure you warn the next unsuspecting sucke...shopper...😳
ReplyDeleteThey followed up the $5 "keep them, we don't want them" offer with an $8 "pretty please keep them" offer the next day. Today they sent me an email asking for a review of their socks which I was happy to give, following your suggestion that I warn people off. They were so thrilled with my comments that they sent me a thank you note and an offer of 13% off any future orders. I guess 8 plus 5 equals 13 and that's the only refund I can expect. Life is so entertaining!
DeleteI had a similar experience with a company I found via FB. Like you, they offered to give me $5 for each item if I would not return them. So much for the 30 day return guarantee. I eventually had to involve my credit card company to get my money back. I didn’t learn and had a similar experience with another company. I have had a positive experience with another company though. Regardless, I will never buy from online companies on FB again.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for this late reply. Nearly a year later, I just saw it. (Head slap.) You're far wiser than I am. I have this month, March 2025, just wasted money on a scam on Facebook. But for your entertainment pleasure, you can read about it here and pat yourself on the back for keeping your promise to yourself! Way to go!
Deletehttps://viewfromthewinepress.blogspot.com/2025/03/all-that-glitters.html