Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Today's Funnies

My new personal challenge is going very well for the first day. All I had to do was write down three things that showed up in life’s inbox that made me laugh. The sun is calling it a day as I write this evening, and it’s been a pretty good day for humor. I’ve collected my quota times two. That means tomorrow is covered, so I can be an Eeyore if I feel like it.

It’s hard to choose which of the six to write about. Maybe I should update you on the Platypus Sock Company which offered me five bucks to keep their lousy products instead of returning them for a partial refund. I accepted their lowball offer, an email they ignored, and the next day they upped their ante and offered me eight instead. Three more dollars was tempting, but their insecurity was suspicious and, deciding that communication isn’t their strong suit, I let it go. Until this morning. Today they sent me an email requesting a review on their product. I nearly sent a link to the scathing critique I posted here, but I don’t need any more trolls following my blog, so I condensed my feelings and told them what I really think about the way they scammed me out of fifty bucks. When I clicked “Send” I got an immediate reply. They offered me 13% off my next purchase in appreciation.

I’m not sure how to interpret that.

I mean, they’re foreigners so maybe they don’t realize that the number 13 is never up to anything good over here. Don’t you think that’s a weird percentage to offer anyway? Ten or fifteen per cent off I could understand, but thirteen? Maybe I should hold out for more. If I turn them down today, they might offer me fourteen tomorrow. Stay tuned. This is getting interesting.

My email was filled with inspiration today. I have a credit card with a clothing company that I pay off every month. Their clothes are so overpriced and poorly manufactured, though, that it’s been easy to let that zero-balance ride lately. Last week they notified me that if I continue to expect paper bills from them, they’re going to charge me an extra fee.

Well, that’s a first. I don’t understand this. It’s not like this country wants to save trees anymore. There’s some comedienne doing ads on tv now who calls herself a “paperologist” and shames people in public for using plastic bags or buying food that comes in plastic containers. I wish the government would make up its freaking mind. Ten years ago, we were all branded as entitled consumers for choosing paper over plastic even though those were the choices given to us. Today we’re labeled as selfish pigs for filling up landfills with free packaging that will never self-destruct. If you don’t want us to use plastic, stop making it. Starting with credit cards.

Back to that email. The entire message read, “Your credit card is ready for your next purchase.” Like it’s an obligation or something. Or worse, a privilege for me to charge a bunch of overpriced clothing that’s just going to fall apart in my dryer. This is shamefully self-promoting, if you ask me, but it did make me laugh. And that’s all I was looking for.

For today’s final contestant, I’m settling on rogue chickens. I love chickens, from a distance. I don’t want a pet chicken because they feel creepy when you pick them up, and also dogs are pets, chicken are dinner. But they’re hilarious in person. They look even sillier than me when they run, like their arms are tied behind their backs, and they’re so fidgety. What’s that about? Unfortunately, they also taste good raw if you’re a pesky coyote, so when the last of Katy’s pastured fowl passed away recently, she drew a line in the sand that excluded any more chickens. She’s also tired of chicken poop in the pasture which, I’ll admit, is smelly and disgusting.

But now there are no chickens back there to make me laugh. There are two funny looking sheep out there who you’d swear are goats until you gaze into their eyes and realize they’re not looking back at you with a demonic stare. Goats are creepy. Sometimes the sheep are entertaining, but the pasture looks so empty now without the menagerie that once lived there that it makes me sad. Just another reminder that life changes against your will.

But tonight, while I sat watching tv and occasionally glancing out through the patio doors at the pasture beyond, I was surprised to see two bright, white, fluffy chickens wandering around in Katy’s vibrant green pasture, strutting their stuff like they belonged there. I knew this had to be a miracle. Katy wouldn’t have bought two full grown birds without telling me. Nobody sells full grown birds anyway. If you want a chicken, you gotta start from scratch. So to speak. Ain’t nobody got time for baby chicks around here anymore. I know I’m not raising them. I’m retired.

Upon close inspection, especially considering their alabaster white feathers, I surmised that these were visitors from heaven, miracles flown in from the sky or, more likely, dropped from above. I know that’s probably a real downgrade for angels, being forced to show up in the form of a chicken, but God’s ways are not our ways. He knows I love chickens. I texted Katy in excitement. “There are two huge white chickens in the pasture!” “I know,” she wrote back. “They belong to the family behind us.”

Oh. Right. I always forget that chickens fly, even over fences. No matter. Real chickens are better than angelic ones anyway. I’d feel sorry for an angel if he was forced to peck the ground for bugs or run away with his wings in the air while escaping from a territorial sheep, which is what happened tonight in the back pasture. It's just not dignified. That bird was airborne in a matter of seconds and barely made it safely over to her side of the tracks before Esther came charging at her again. Esther is the mean sheep. Even I stay out of her way. The other bird was no help at all to her fellow fowl and did nothing to come to the rescue because chickens are chicken. I’m not really sure what happened to her, but since I don’t see a pile of white feathers out on that bright green grass where the sister sheep reign supreme, I think she’s okay. If not, then she’s flying free like an angel, which is what I thought was going on in the first place.

So, there you have it. It doesn’t take a lot to make me laugh. Humor is everywhere if you know where to look. And if you don’t, just check your inbox.

See ya tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment