He stood still, just like the young woman beside him.
The animal’s eyes were covered by what looked like a blindfold while the two of
them paused on a dirt path near a busy intersection. The horse never pulled
against the reins the woman held loosely. Never tried to bolt. Never reacted to
the noise of the congested road. He just stood there. Beside her. Letting her
be his vision for whatever reason known only to the two of them.
It looked cruel. And out of place. The incongruity of
it held my attention where I sat watching, idling at the red light, captivated.
For several minutes they were motionless, not trying
to go anywhere, not exactly waiting—the woman holding the bridle, the horse
immobile. All while cars rushed past, revving and braking with all the noises
you only notice if you’re standing still. Out in the open with nowhere safe to
hide. I imagined how his instincts must have been screaming to run away. Shake
off the blinders and take over. It’s dangerous standing at a corner like that.
Didn’t the girl realize how frightened he must feel?
Maybe she was training him to ignore the sounds. To
trust only her despite the noise all around them. In this encroached portion of
what was once secluded horse property, lots of riders exercise their animals
near busy roads. The last thing anyone needs is for a thirteen-hundred-pound quarter
horse to panic and bolt into traffic.
The light changed for me, but I watched them in my
mirror as I drove away. I saw the young woman lead the masked horse away from
the intersection, walking slowly while they followed the trail. They never
attempted to cross the street—just remained off to the side on that dirt path.
The confident girl leading a blind horse.
Probably at this point, you may notice what a city girl I am. That I didn't realize the horse's eyes were covered by a mesh fly mask to protect him from annoying insects. Maybe that's what he was wearing--a stylish mask, both comfortable and transparent, available on Amazon at an affordable price. But even if it was, what were they doing just standing at the noisy corner with no intention of crossing the street?
It was right after another memory of my husband
brought me to tears that I first noticed them there. Right after I prayed the
only prayer I’ve been able to offer for months.
“God help.”
I zeroed in on the eyewear because I feel blinded right now. By my loss. By the
agony in my gut when I remember again the man I’ve loved and held for nearly
forty-seven years. I face an uncertain future, a life I’m going to have to
rebuild from the ruins where I stand. While the last four and a half decades
have been a joint effort between Rob and me, choosing and compromising
together, now it’s all up to me. I have trusted friends and family I talk with,
but the ultimate decisions are all mine.
I don’t know which way to look most of the time as the
noise of options and fear and sorrow overwhelm whatever confidence and
concentration I have left. If I look behind me, I crumble in the anguish of all
that I’ve lost. If I look too far forward, I’m frozen by the unknown and the
pain I foresee as I do this “slog through grief” in this year of horrible
firsts. The first birthday without Rob. The first time our anniversary comes
after his death. Christmas. Everything I have to try to celebrate or remember
without him here.
Where is the safety at an intersection like that?
I’m surprised by the things that cause me pain,
including the memory of Rob’s love for me. I’m still his wife, but he’s not
here anymore to keep loving me. I miss his love desperately. I miss his advice
and insights. His humor and even his annoying habits. All of it. I miss all of
him. I miss what I no longer have. And in the void of his familiar presence,
the noise of the unknown has rushed in, confusing me so much all I want to do
sometimes is run away.
And I do. Sometimes. But running doesn’t teach me how
to face this crushing loss. It’s a temporary distraction and it helps when I
need a break, but I can’t keep running mindlessly. Forever. Sometimes the best
thing to do is stand still. Let the grief wash over me. Surrender to it with
all of its throbbing pain, listening to its cries and mine until it passes by
and its safe for me to move again. Waiting for the One I begged to help me . .
. to help me.
Maybe the woman was teaching her horse not only to
ignore the disturbing racket of frantic road traffic but to tune in to the
quiet sound of her voice. Today as I cried out to God, I accused Him of not
answering me. Not listening. Not speaking. This faith walk through the dark is
surprisingly silent on His end. He promises to never leave us, but where is the
proof of His presence? I can’t feel Him. Or see Him. Or hear Him much of the
time. Just give me something to hold on to, I tell Him.
Maybe this is uncomfortable to read. Some can’t relate
to this. I’m being honest here. I’ve been told over and over again that I am
not alone. The meaning is that God is here as well as the love of people who
are thinking of me. But physically, in this room, I am alone. I can’t feel
God’s presence the way I once felt Rob’s. The screaming silence that
accompanies grief is as comforting as being flattened by a hurricane.
I sat on my bed this morning telling all of this to
the Silent One and my eyes fell to words on a plaque I keep on my bookshelf.
It’s Isaiah 40:28-31, a familiar passage about rising up on the wings of an
eagle. The word “strength,” superimposed over the verses, is artistic but makes
it hard to read all the words.
So, I looked them up. Something told me to.
Do you not know?
Have
you not heard?
The Lord . . . will not
grow tired, and His understanding no one can fathom.
He
gives strength to the weary and
Increases
the power of the weak.
Youths grow tired and
young men stumble and fall.
But
those who hope in the Lord
will
renew their strength.
They will soar on
wings like eagles.
They
will run and not grow weary.
They
will walk and not be faint.
Here and there, some of the words jumped off the page,
making a lot of noise while they did it.
Know. Hear. Understand. Strength and power
in weakness. Hope renews strength. Soar. Run. Walk.
But I want to see—not know. I want to touch—not listen.
I want to feel strength and power without being weak. I don’t want to stand
here with this blindfold on and trust in the quiet voice of Someone Else who
can see what I can’t see. Someone Who soars above the chaos and catastrophe of
my life.
How can I walk, let alone run, when I.Can’t.See?
How can I hope when my
heart is breaking? How can I move when I don’t know where I’m going? Do I dare
take one step when I can’t focus?
Only if I stop running.
And wait.
At the corner of Here and
Now.
For His voice. The One Who
will not grow tired or weary. The One Who understands better than anyone I’ve
ever known just how terrifying this feels. The One with holes in his hands who
has been in my shoes and knows the way to safety.
The One Who holds on to me.
Whispering words no one else can hear. When I wait for His voice.
Even though I’m walking blindly, His understanding is beyond comprehension.
Stand still. And wait for
Him to lead. He is with me whether I feel Him or not.
Do you
not know?
With thanks to Andrea Vallejos for the beautiful photo of one of Wanda's horses. The original can be viewed by following this link: _RAC4990 | Bonnievale | andreavallejos | Flickr

😍❤
ReplyDelete