Saturday, June 12, 2021

Order Up!

Sometimes a little comic relief shows up when you least expect it. Right on time.

Rob would have loved this story. He was there when it happened, but like so many things lately, we never got to talk about it. Or chuckle over it together. But we will. Someday. I’d bet my last laugh on it.

Katy and I spent a sleepless night after that call from the doctor. We all did. It came down to this—we knew we had to let Rob go. And that meant a four-hour drive up to Show Low the next day, back to the hospital where everything went wrong. I still needed oxygen at that elevation, we both arrived wearing N-95 masks, and after gowning up and putting on gloves, we immediately we went to Rob’s room to tell him how much we loved him and say goodbye for now.

It was the hardest thing we’ve ever done.

Lee was on the phone the entire time while we sat at Rob’s bedside, listening to us talk to his dad, a witness to the long silences, praying over the phone for his father, sending his love. For several hours, in person and by phone, we all sat with Rob in that hospital room. Our family. Waiting. Listening. Watching. And weeping.

We’d never done anything like this before. And with the mantra Katy and I adopted ever since she brought me home from that same hospital four weeks earlier, we reminded each other that even though “we don’t know what we’re doing,” we just keep doing it anyway.

Rubbing our necks and changing positions in the chairs where we sat on each side of Rob’s bed, our attention turned in the direction of a hospital employee who suddenly appeared. Neither a doctor or a nurse, the man leaned in through the door he held open, brushed aside our curiosity, and got right to the point.

“Would you like a chaplain to come in and pray with you?” he asked.

I never turn down prayer.

Katy and I nodded, and the man quickly disappeared. A few minutes later, a second man arrived.

“Are you looking for someone to pray with you?” he inquired.

“Sure,” I said, a little confused. “Are you the chaplain?”

“No, but I can get you one. What kind would you like?”

What kind would I like? Katy and I exchanged glances while we thought about the strange question. I don’t know, I wanted to answer. Do you have any with whipped cream and a cherry on top? I never knew you could order a special variety of chaplain. No one had even offered us a menu to peruse. Then again, COVID had done away with actual menus. Maybe I should have scanned a code when we came in the hospital, so I’d have been better prepared with an answer. The man looked a little impatient.

“I don’t know how to respond to that,” I finally told him.

“Well, what denomination are you?”

Now, there’s a tricky question. Almost trickier than suggesting I could order a chaplain with a side of fries. I haven’t really claimed a religious denomination since churches started hiding their affiliation behind the catchy names on their signs outside.

Katy rescued me from my moral dilemma. “Non-denominational,” she interjected.

The man appeared relieved. “Fine. I’ll get you one of those,” he said, and shut the door behind him.

This place could stand to brush up on their communication skills, I thought. “I’ll get you one of those.” I pictured an assembly line of Build-A-Bear chaplains right down the hall. Cute, dressed in exciting colors, and pre-loaded with fun. I wasn’t far off.

The door flew open and a firecracker in a clerical collar burst into the room.

“Hi!” she announced loudly. “I’m the chaplain!” Short and spunky, I expected her to jump into the air and click her heels together, ready to wish us a “top o’ the mornin’!” It wasn’t out of the question, even though she appeared to be about eighty, but I’ll admit I was jealous. I haven’t had energy like hers since I was twelve.

Taking in the scene, she straightened her uniform and got right down to business. She crossed the room in a quick stride, took her place at the head of the bed, pressed one hand down hard on Rob’s chest, and leaned in close to his face. Katy and I reacted to the assault by scooting to the edge of our chairs, ready to tackle the tiny chaplain, but the woman was on a mission and never hesitated. Or noticed.

“ROBERT!” she yelled, as though Rob was deaf. “I HAVE WONDERFUL NEWS FOR YOU! DID YOU KNOW THAT JESUS CHRIST LIVED A PERFECT LIFE, DIED FOR YOUR SINS, AND WANTS TO TAKE YOU TO HEAVEN WITH HIM TODAY?”

My eyes glued to Rob’s monitors, I watched his heart rate begin to rise in direct proportion to his agitated blood pressure and respirations. I knew how sensitive his body had been for weeks to even slight noise. What he was experiencing now was on the scale of an F-4 tornado. I’m not a doctor but even I knew this had to stop. Prayer shouldn’t hurt.

“He’s a believer!” I said quickly to the kind of chaplain we’d ordered. “He loves Jesus!”

She broke out in a big smile, and I breathed half a sigh of relief before she started in again, her volume now set to supersonic.

“ROBERT! THAT’S WONDERFUL NEWS!”

If Rob wasn’t deaf before, her evangelistic approach was about to do him in now. I always thought Jesus restored the five senses, not injured them.

“WHY DON’T I PRAY FOR YOU, ROBERT?” she yelled again, jolting me off the edge of my seat.

I was already praying for Rob—that the wind-up munchkin would wind down ASAP. Kicking myself for inviting her in, I wished I’d realized that Katy and Lee and I had the prayer angle covered for hours. God heard us just fine and we weren’t even yelling. Thankfully, she ended the monologue before Rob’s rising vitals short-circuited the monitors over his bed. I heard a satisfied “Amen” from the energizer bunny before she turned with a smile toward Katy and me.

“And can I do anything else for you while I’m here?” she asked. Yup. Please go away. Out loud I said, “No, thank you, you’ve done enough.”

Missing my sarcasm, the non-denominational kind of chaplain looked pleased with herself and shook our hands. Then she escaped through the door where I couldn’t press charges. Katy and I sank back in our chairs, exhausted, looking at each other wide-eyed. I watched in relief as Rob’s heartrate returned to normal, his blood pressure stabilized, and his respirations slowed. I checked mine, too, and turned up the oxygen on my tank. Then I looked at my shell-shocked daughter.

“What was that?”

Worn out, we rolled our eyes, both of us swallowing our laughter.

What kind would you like?” the man had asked.

Hindsight is twenty-twenty, they say. With a sigh of relief in the now peaceful room, I told my daughter—out of an abundance of newly gained wisdom—the lesson I’d just learned.

“We should’ve ordered a Catholic.”







With many thanks to Steve Snodgrass for permission to use the great photo seen above. The original can be viewed by following the link below:

Menu | Bodacious BBQ | Steve Snodgrass | Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment