Dan strung a zipline for the kiddos today from the oleanders
at the edge of their property all the way to the corner of the barn. Will and
Jules and Allie and eventually Dan and Katy all took a seat and hung onto the handles
for dear life while they screamed across the backyard, hair blowing wildly,
until they bounced to a stop at the other side. They vacillated between huge grins
and huge eyes while their bodies hurtled through the air, suspended on a thin,
metal cable secured from trees to the roof.
It looked like every kid and grownup kid’s dream.
“Farm life is great, isn’t it?” I commented to Katy
while she and I stood at the edge of the jungle gym spotting the other zipliners
in case they came too close to a wooden platform there. Katy agreed with a
smile.
I wished Rob had been there to enjoy it with me. He
and Dan had planned to run a zipline in the backyard of our Heber house between
the enormous pine trees spaced out there in the woods. Just another re-alignment
life handed us all. I couldn’t help but think of how much he’d have gotten a
kick out of all the fun our grandkids were having.
“Are you watching this?” I questioned in my heart, while
my frustration at all the layers of loss shaded my thought. Surely, through
that thin veil he could see what the kiddos were doing. I could picture the big
smile on his face and hear his laughter in concert with theirs.
“I’m right here beside you, Babe,” came the immediate reply
to my spirit.
It took my breath away, even more than the zipline was
doing to the kids flying past me. I knew he was there, watching them, watching
me laugh as they rushed by. The answer was clear, distinct. Comforting.
Surprising. My eyes swam and I choked back the evidence, putting on a big smile
as Will soared past.
I guess it might sound crazy to believe Rob’s spirit
communed with mine outside here tonight. It so easily could have just been my brokenhearted
imagination dreaming up what he’d have said to me if he stood beside me in the
flesh. But I know of no reason why he couldn’t see what the rest of the
neighborhood could only hear as the kids hooted and yelled in delight. We’re
surrounded by a cloud of witnesses, the Bible says. What makes me think they only
fill that heavenly amphitheater when something more spiritual is happening,
like a battle against temptation or a revival, and not just kids being happy and
a grieving wife watching?
Sometimes the things that break my heart are all about
what Rob is missing since he left us in February. The hilarious Dare Devil
videos my son’s three kiddos are posting on YouTube. The piano concerts here,
comic strips his grandkids draw, the puppet shows, his dog romping under the
trees, our son and his wife leading their church back to normalcy while their
hearts are still hurting, the way our daughter and son-in-law are supporting me
and each other. And me, surviving here with my heart in pieces, but still, surviving.
We’re doing it. Getting up every morning. Facing the
day, whether with tears or a smile or both, but facing each new one as they
come. Holding each other. Moving forward whether we feel like it or not. “Crushing
it,” my daughter said to someone who wanted to know how her mother is doing. Even
while our hearts are broken, we’re all crushing it.
So, when I throw out the desire heavenward that Rob
can watch while life hands us the gift of a delightful moment in this time of
heartache, it’s a miracle of hope to believe that he can. And does. It’s just
that believing my spirit can still commune with his sometimes feels as precarious
as putting your faith in a narrow, metal cable while you’re hurled across space,
your heart in your throat, trusting you’ll survive the flight.
“I’m right here beside you, Babe.”
Maybe he’s not missing it after all.
Maybe it’s just that we’re missing him.
With thanks to My Photo Journeys for permission to use the beautiful photo above. The original can be viewed at the following link: Zipline at sunset | My Photo Journeys | Flickr

That Zip line must be loads of fun for the kids. Can friends ride too? Adult friends? Ahhh,farm life! Life. It's good. Love to you and the family. Thinking of you and missing you. Love..
ReplyDeleteWhen are you coming back? Love you both.
DeleteI think so.... He's not missing anything, he's got a bird's eye view! But he wants to see you on that zipline too! Love you dahling.
ReplyDeleteAh, dahling. You first. ;)
Delete❤️❤️❤️
ReplyDeleteI love you, Kate.
Delete❤️❤️❤️
ReplyDelete